Confused over Toto Drake options!

Users who are viewing this thread

babs

Reaction score
After reading comments here, I decided not to buy a Home Depot Glacier Bay or Jacuzzi Espree & decided on Drake. I know I need the ADA height & don't need the bidet feature, but is the insulated tank important? Sanigloss?
I want the bowl to clean well as well as flush. Also can the EcoDrake be
maneuvered to half-flush like the 1.6gal Drake? Is the e-max flush as good as the g-max? I need to make the decision soon for a bathroom remodel!

Thanks, Babs

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Insulated Tank: In the old toilets all the water would be emptied into the bowl and the tank would be refilled with new cold water, in the summer it would sweat. In the new toilets only about half the water is emptied per flush and new cold water is mixed with standing water so you don't get that really cold water.
Now.. if you have a lot of people flushing continually then you made need it.

CEFIONTECT: Your Drake toilet does not flush like the old toilets and the water does not swirl around the bowl cleaning it. The CEFIONTECT is like a Teflon coated frying pan versus a regular frying pan they both will get dirty but Teflon is much easier to clean.

Not sure what you mean about half flush? The Eco-Drake is the same as the G-max Drake the only difference is they have added a float on top of the flapper in the Eco pushing the flapper closed quicker to only allow 1.28gpf.

I have sold 609 Eco-Drakes so far and have not had one call complaining about not flushing well.

Our city rebate program is now only listing the Eco-Toto toilets on their program.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
Not sure what you mean about half flush? The Eco-Drake is the same as the G-max Drake the only difference is they have added a float on top of the flapper in the Eco pushing the flapper closed quicker to only allow 1.28gpf.

Also, the C744EL Bowl has been redesigned to flush better and more efficiently then the 1.6 C744SL Bowl. The "E" bowl is now being used for all drakes, which means if you get the 1.28gpf and feel its not good enough for whatever reason, swap the flapper with the 1.6 and you got yourself the same 1.6 Drake that you can buy in the first place.

I have sold 609 Eco-Drakes so far and have not had one call complaining about not flushing well
but who is counting? :D

babs

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

Thanks Peanuts 9199 and Whirlpool. I think I better get Sangloss but don't need insulated tank, and thanks for the tip for converting to 1.6gal.
Babs

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
Thanks Peanuts 9199 and Whirlpool. I think I better get Sangloss but don't need insulated tank, and thanks for the tip for converting to 1.6gal.
Babs

One problem is that the Toto Drake and Eco Drake do not come in CEFIONTECT and ADA Universal Height. The good news, Toto makes the Gwyneth, an ADA Universal Height, CEFIONTECT finished, Cyclone flushing and a 1.28 flush. Only $20 (list) more than the ADA Drake, it is by far the best valued toilet Toto makes.

I have the Gwyneth in my own home and can attest that the Cyclone bowl cleaning along with the CEFIONTECT finish keeps the toilet cleaner then any toilet I have ever had.

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
One problem is that the Toto Drake and Eco Drake do not come in CEFIONTECT and ADA Universal Height. The good news, Toto makes the Gwyneth, an ADA Universal Height, CEFIONTECT finished, Cyclone flushing and a 1.28 flush. Only $20 (list) more than the ADA Drake, it is by far the best valued toilet Toto makes.

I have the Gwyneth in my own home and can attest that the Cyclone bowl cleaning along with the CEFIONTECT finish keeps the toilet cleaner then any toilet I have ever had.

Okay, it seems Toto has taken my advice and has renamed the Gwyneth, the Drake II. Same toilet, same awesome price, now just a new name.

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetai...SearchId=d561aa8a-7672-47ce-9032-bf7e243c7b32

TedL

Reaction score
I have five Drakes. Three CEFIONTECT, two not. We see no performance difference in need to clean or effort to clean. Wife says following CEFIONTECT cleaning recommendations is a PITA.

The teflon comparison is sales puffery with little or no connection to reality. Read the actual claims from Toto. Invest the money in a soft-close seat instead.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I changed my old toilets to Totos with CEFIONTECT, I found they stayed cleaner longer and when cleaning was required, was limited to mostly a quick pass of the brush rather than some dedicated scrubbing. Prior to this, I'd get some crud growing in the bowl at the water line if not used for awhile. This can still happen, but takes weeks longer. While CEFIONTECT is not a required item, it did make a difference in my installation, and I felt it was worth the difference. Your results may differ. CEFIONTECT is a smoother surface and adds some antibacterial properties so stuff has a harder time sticking. Still can, but it brushes off easier if required.

Hans

Reaction score
be clear on model

Okay, it seems Toto has taken my advice and has renamed the Gwyneth, the Drake II. Same toilet, same awesome price, now just a new name.

I have found this forum very useful. I am about to replace our wonderful 1926 American Standard DeVoro two piece toilet with a new low flush (developed a hair line crack in the base).
I have been concerned about "skid marks" and clogging in the new HET toilets. Such arcane thoughts as does the toilet seat matter?

What I find difficult here, is that posters refer to toilets by name without care to actual model.
It appears that there is a big difference between like name toilets. I would like to see model numbers used whenever possible.

I discovered what Terry noted above ,when I was going over my notes on toilets and tried to find the Gwyneth, two piece ,on the toto web site. No Gwyneths listed, but by putting in the model number I came back with Drake II, not Drake, not EcoDrake, but Drake II. This name change was confirmed by Toto in an email.

So more complete descriptions please.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hans, for a number of years the Toto line was pretty simple...
Just recently as in about 2 months ago they made sweeping changes in their website and product names... They are still sneaking in the changes!

It's a big change that is a result of all the HET' entering the product line...

Hopefully they get all the changes done soon so that most of us will again know what we are talking about...

I hate change... Especially when it makes me look dumb...:eek:

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
I hate change... Especially when it makes me look dumb...:eek:

yeah no kidding. I just sent in a PO for a Drake II to my supplier and he asked if I didnt mean the Drake ADA. When I explained the name change, he was shocked that there was no mention of this from his Toto rep that was in the previous day. So I would guess this is catching everyone off guard. He was even more flabbergasted when I told him about the Ultramax II. :D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I mentioned the name change to the Northwest Rep of Toto last night, and he thought I was smoking something.
And now today, the name is back on the Toto web site.

Very strange.
I did get to see a lot of the new product line in the brochures and talk some shop.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

I completely agree! I have 2 of the one-piece Gwyneths in my house - work great, look sleek. I wanted it all - CEFIONTECT, ADA height, Cyclone bowl wash, and not needing the Unifit adaptor (so I didn't have to move the water supply). The Gwyneth has it all.

Don't be put off by the fact that the one-piece Gwyneths have a lower MaP score than the two-piece ones. If you want a one-piece unit, it will work just fine.

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Reaction score
I mentioned the name change to the Northwest Rep of Toto last night, and he thought I was smoking something.
And now today, the name is back on the Toto web site.

Very strange.
I did get to see a lot of the new product line in the brochures and talk some shop.

Isn't that weird i called the Reps for Toto in Ontario/Quebec and they didn't know and then called back and said yes the name is changing.
Maybe they updated the website too quickly.

csmithson

Reaction score
Jacuzzi Espree Toilet EZ36959

I saw this toilet (Jacuzzi Espress Toilet Model #EZ36959) on sale at Lowe's and I really liked the smooth outside service towards the bottom that made it easier to clean. I asked a friend of mine who is a plumber what he thought and he said just from the looks of it, he wouldn't suggest it. He suggested a Toto or Koehler. Can i get some opinions from plumbers on here?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks