Confused in what I need for new pump

Users who are viewing this thread

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi All,

Wow, after reading some posts here am I glad I found you guys. Thank a BIG bunch to Terry for setting up this site and forums.

Our well pressure is at 25-psi. We (wife and I) still have enough pressure for showers etc but something needs fixing real soon. The pump is a Flint and Walling as I have the original instruction sheet but I do not know the model or GPM. It is 3-wire, 1-1/2hp with a Franklin control box and FURNAS 30-50 pressure switch. I also have a WellMate WM-25 and someone has hand written 87 gallons on the instructions. It is about 2' diameter and 4' high. I have had no reply from Wellmate regarding actual specs.

The test report dated 1990 shows
315' total depth - 6" PVC casing
260' - 315' perforated with slots 3/16" x 6"
231' water table - 4' drawdown
235' total pumping lift - 0' drawdown
20-gpm
The highest tap in the house is about 15' above the well head.

I have contacted several local guys and the quotes are all the same. Surprising?? :)
$500 to lift and lower
$1100 for a Gould 18-gpm pump
I suspect they all stock the same make and model so that's what they are going to recommend.

After some online searching I get the idea that 20-gpm is way more than we need. I have found much better prices on the pump but am unsure of which pump to select. Our water load is not great, we have no garden and have a septic tank.

I have seen Myers pumps and they seem very good value and I have seen Gould pumps with about the same performance but double the price.

Soooo, can you guys all make sense of this for me and please offer some suggestions. I am going to be stuck with the $500 lift and lower, but I would like to save some bucks on the pump.

Harry

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Have you determined that you really need a new pump? Flint and Walling is a good pump and still available. Are they quoting you a VFD pump or a conventional Pump? The VFD's are expensive and problematic. Get a quote on a conventional pump (like you have now). Then consider installing a Cycle Stop Valve to give you constant pressure and extend the life of all your water system. If you have to hire a pump puller/installer be sure they are state licensed and hopefully National Ground Water Certified. If the installer sells you the pump you can always fall back on them for warranty backup.

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi Porky,

Thanks for the quick reply. The pump I was quoted was the 18GS15... forget the rest, my notes are at home.

I figured the existing pump being 20-years old may be at it's end of life and the cost of $500 to lift and lower in a year or two times, it makes sense to me to just replace the pump. I contacted a F&W dealer but they wanted $1026 for the 11-gpm version. That's when I started looking on the internet.

I have now found the Bruiser range of Goulds pumps and the 18-gpm 1.5hp is under 700-bucks. Goulds' website appears to be down so I can't get the specs on that yet.

The more I look the more confusing it becomes. :)

I will check out the "Cycle Stop Valve."

All 3 local well-guys are listed on the AZ Government Contractors website and all have full Bond balances and no disputes. Thanks for mentioning that but I am a retired Engineer and I do the full check before leaping in any direction.

Harry

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would also make sure one of those pump guys will do the pull and set for 500 if you supply the pump. A lot of pump guys won't set a pump they didn't sell.

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up Valveman,

I will check before clicking "Add to cart.". Given these tight-times, I suspect I can strike a deal. ;)

I am not beyond building a tripod and lifting it myself. Probably cost around the same and I would always have the tripod.

I am retired and have a good hobby machine shop here and for the moment, we still have water, albeit at 25-psi.

Harry

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
do not be surprised if they arent willing to work a deal or if price is more than the lift/lower fee unless they charge hourly and you supply everything like wire/connections/etc, then i'm still not sure because everyone has their own ways. i will, however, install supplied products for a fee with no warranty. pump manufacturers have done alot of changing around lately so i cant really comment on some of the newer products, but its not unsual to see a 20+yr goulds submersible or jet pump in operation.. its hard to find some other brands holding out that long. i seem to have the best results here with just about any sub that has stainless discharge and franklin motor..

i agree that if the pump has to be pulled then you should replace it if its 20 years.. but before i shelled out that many clams, id be very certain i needed the new pump. assuming you arent, if pump never shuts off and stays at confirmed 25 psi with the main supply valve closed, then either your pump isnt building pressure or you have a bad drop pipe, either way pump must come out. if this isnt the case.. does the pump cut on, build, and shut off ? what is pump cutin and cutout pressure?.. you can confirm the gauge reading by checking the wm25 with tire gauge. if you cut off the main supply valve and hold the pressure switch ON (without shocking yourself), will pump build AND HOLD past 60? if it doesnt hold pressure when pump cuts off, you have a hole in drop pipe or bad check valve and pump needs to come up, but if it does build and hold over 60, set the switch for either 30-50 or preferably 40-60. in my experience, wm25 is notorious for leaking air. have you killed power and drained system to be sure tank is 2 psi less than pumps cuton pressure? these minor adjustments could be some, all, or none of your problem but will need to be done anyway to ensure your system is operating properly. my .02

Last edited:

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
@ justwater
The pump flows plenty at the open pressure but will not build beyond 23-psi or so. The pressure switch no longer trips (can't set the Off low enough) so I have been running the pump and manually turning it off when it maxes out at that 23. That gives me about 8 gallons in the pressure tank. Enough for about a half day use, then out and turn it on for 5 minutes again.

Thanks to everyone who helped. Much appreciated. Just heard back from the well guy and we have worked out a very amicable agreement. Costing 100-bucks more than online price but he is doing it tomorrow. I won't even mess with the old pump, just put the new 10GS15 down there.

A great forum.

Harry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks