Confused by well test results

Users who are viewing this thread

Cornfused

Reaction score
I am in central North Carolina I had my well tested by the county and I am confused by the results. It failed for Iron at 19mg/l (yes one nine, 19) and manganese at 0.20mg/l

Ph is 7.2 and hardness is 61.

The county has declared it un drinkable but ok for everything else. Here is the confusing part. I have been reading that Iron should turn the water colors either immediately or after a period of time after coming out of the tap. My water stays clear. I do have some staining on fixtures, but it is minor.

The house has been vacant for many months, would lack of flow cause the iron levels to rise. Should I run the well for a few days and have it retested?

I don't want to drop $$$$$$$ into water that looks and tastes fine.

Thanks in advance

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. A steel well casing, pipe and/or steel pipes inside can add iron. However they will not add manganese. So you probably have significant iron in the water before the well parts and plumbing contribute.

61 PPM or mg/l is not very hard. 61 grains per gallon is very hard. So what are the units?

I suggest you get an iron test and a hardness test kit. The Hach 5-B is a very good hardness test. They also offer an iron test kit.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you take the sample or someone from the county?
Was the sample a first draw? That is when the water is not run to flush out the pipes. Or was it a flushed sample. That is when the water is run for five minutes or so first to flush out the pipe so you know you are testing the well and not what has been sitting in the pipe for many months. What spigot was used? Inside or outside etc? Was the aerator removed if it was an inside sample?
Do you have to correct the iron and manganese? What happens if you do not?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Google manganese toxicity and draw your own conclusions.

Would you spend money on your water to correct bacteria, high radon, arsenic or uranium if the water looked and tasted fine?

Reach4

Reaction score
0.20mg/l level of Mn does not seem so scary it seems to me after some reading.
http://www.epa.gov/teach/chem_summ/manganese_summary.pdf

Confused will probably want a backwashing filter with appropriate media and a water softener if the water hardness is 61 grains/gallon. If it is only 3.5 grains, that would be surprising for a deep well. The preferred treatment method will be chosen based on a test where the water has been run sufficiently. The test is suspect, as Confused points out, since those levels would be expected to give an impressive amount of staining.

The taste may be acceptable because he is used to it.

Cornfused

Reaction score
Did you take the sample or someone from the county?
Was the sample a first draw? That is when the water is not run to flush out the pipes. Or was it a flushed sample. That is when the water is run for five minutes or so first to flush out the pipe so you know you are testing the well and not what has been sitting in the pipe for many months. What spigot was used? Inside or outside etc? Was the aerator removed if it was an inside sample?
Do you have to correct the iron and manganese? What happens if you do not?

The county drew the sample.

Outdoor spigot, I requested it be drawn from the spigot at the base of the pressure tank, no notes as to if that was done or if "outdoor spigot' was the hose bib on the house itself (about 200ft from the well house). No notes about if it was run before the draw.

With the house vacant the water use has been nearly zero. Maybe a gallon or 2 a week if I flush a toilet when I am there to check on the place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks