Confused By Drainage Problem in Front Yard

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbingnewbie

Reaction score
I live in Southern California.

I have a slew of 3 inch patio drains in my backyard that all flow into a plastic catch basin in my front yard. From the catch basin, the water appears to flow into a drain pipe that's embedded through the sidewalk then into the steet.

When it rains very heavily, the catch basin fills up and floods my front lawn and water rises about 4" against my home's foundation.

I originally thought there might be a clog in the drain line from the catch basin to the curb, so I shoved my garden hose about 30 feet into the drain pipe from catch basin and tried to blast out the clog.

The weird part is that it takes about 20 minutes before the water starts to slowly flow back into the catch basin and then begin to flood again. Meanwhile, there is a relatively slow flow of water coming out of the drain pipe from the curb. Where could the rest of this water be going?

The water is literally on for 20 minutes so that water must have gone somewhere before the water starts to come back into the catch basin. Could the drain pipe be piped directly into the city's sewer lines and the curb drain pipe is just for overflow?

Totally confused....

Thanks for any assistance

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The line might be setup as a French drain and intended to soak into a gravel base with only the surplus going to the street.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is absolutely no way we can even begin to answer your question because without seeing it there are be many ways it could have been piped, although most of them would be illogical, but so is your description.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd have the line camera inspected to see what it is and where it goes.
Once you know that you'll know what your options are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks