CONFUSED! - Bathtub Overflow Installation - Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cjhusky, Dec 2, 2011.

1. cjhusky

cjhusky New Member

I am in the process of installing trim kits in my bathtub/shower combinations. But I'm severely struggling with the type of overflow assembly my plumber left me with as part of his rough-in. He has since left the area and is unreachable, so I'm reaching out to this forum, which has been incredibly helpful in the past to see if someone can help direct me.

I am familiar with two types of bathtub overflow assemblies, either center screw or two screws. In this instance, when I unscrew the test cap, I am left with a black ABS threaded connection at the tub (see photos below).

I must be missing something? It does not appear that this has anyway to attach your standard nickel/chrome/brass overflow trim piece. Is there some sort of aftermarket screw on assembly, which will allow me to mount a standard overflow plate and cover this up? Scratching my head here....

The only information I have is on the test cap itself, which is marked "AB&A".

Thanks in advance,
    chris
    Drain_2.jpg Drain_1.jpg Drain_3.jpg
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Cable drain, American Brass and Aluminum. http://www.abainc.net/
    click on 'catalog' then go to bath waste and trim section, pages 21-30
  3. cjhusky

cjhusky New Member

Thanks for the quick reply Jimbo!

I went to their site and looked at the cable-driven trim kits, but I'm still a bit confused. Is the cable already run as part of the rough-in, because it is certainly not visible nor can i feel it reaching in the overflow drain pipe. When I look at page 27, at say model 770, which is trim kit only, there is no cable. Is there any illustrations or instructions on how these buggers mount?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it is a cable drain, the cable HAS to be installed when the waste and overflow is assembled. It is NOT an "after the fact install with the trim" item. But, if it is there should be an operating mechanism visible which operates the cable. But what you probably need is one of the Classic trim kits with the "Classic overflow plate" which comes with either a coarse pipe thread or a fine thread, depending on which you have.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  5. cjhusky

cjhusky New Member

Thank HJ. That's exactly what I thought, in reference to the cable. There is certainly no cable visible, so I assume it must just be a classic drain overflow.

I believe they are coarse thread, as shown in the pic below. Looking at page 29 (screenshot below) of the ABA catalog, there are "classic" drain trim kits for fine thread and then pipe size. Is it safe to assume that "pipe size" is for coarse thread and that mine is coarse?

So the hope is that this will completely cover the black ABS portion INSIDE the tub and will screw down flush with the inside surface of the tub, is that correct?

Do folks order directly from ABA or is there a recommended outsourcer? Out here in the PacNW, I order through Pacific Plumbing and sometimes Ferguson. But an online order houise may be preferable for a smal item like this, if you have a suggestion.

Thanks again...you guys rock!!

-Chris

Drain_5.JPG Drain_6.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  7. cjhusky

cjhusky New Member

Thanks for looking. I searched the Watco site and it does not appear to be anything like what I have. I suspect it is AB&A, due to the test cap that came off. On hj's suggestion above, I went ahead and ordered a "classic' trim kit and i'll just have to see if it fits. It looks like the overflow trim is PLASTIC, though? I had assumed it threaded onto the overflow, but maybe not? Frankly, I'm still fully confused...:(

-Chris
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The coarse and fine thread references are to the drain flange which screw down into the tub shoe. The fitting at the overflow are all the same for that series.