Confirmation of plumbing layout needed

Users who are viewing this thread

mahuska

Reaction score
Hello All
I have just redone the layout for the third time and i think this one might work. I am using a old laundry shoot to take new pipes to the basement. This is a story and a half and the load bearing wall below is in line under the bathtub and shower space and it carries the toilet and sink waist pipe to the basement (not shown). The shower is a curbless design using Kerdi Line so the joists are cut down and sistered. What do you think?
shower tub DWV layout 1.jpgshower tub DWV layout 2.jpgshower tub DWV layout 3.jpgshower tub DWV layout 4.jpgshower tub DWV layout 5.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tub vent is flat, no go. Must rise vertical until 6" above flood level rim of the highest fixture served by the branch which is the lav.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Must rise vertical until 6" above flood level rim of the highest fixture

That is only half of the requirement. The full requirement is 6" above the flood level of the highest fixture OR 42" above the floor WHICHEVER IS HIGHEST.

mahuska

Reaction score
So this can't be a wet vent? Also if this is problem with the tub would it also so be a problem with the shower which is the same design, different shape. Also Iowa adopted UPC 2009

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, since the IPC is an "anything goes code", that would explain it. A toilet would only require that it be about 21" above the floor. The good codes assume that a kitchen sink COULD be added at some later date which would require the 42" height, therefore they require it from the beginning.

mahuska

Reaction score
This is a remodel and the second floor walls are not over the downstairs walls. I did not move the walls and the tub is now where a shower was that had no vent at all. The wall with the vents is 2 feet out over the living room. Even if i could go straight down through the load bearing wall directly under the tub the vent has to to go to a wall so this is why i use something like a wet vent concept. I do not see many options here so any ah-ha moments would be greatly appreciated.:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ah-ha moments occur when we are there and can actually see the entire situation. Why are you using a right hand tub? Is there going to be a wall there that you are not showing?

mahuska

Reaction score
Its a corner tub next to a shower. No other walls are going to be built.

shower tub DWV layout 6.jpgshower tub DWV layout 7.jpg

Last edited:

mahuska

Reaction score
What if I dumped the 1.5 tub drain into the 2 in with a wye and 60 deg bend so the entry into the 2 was at a 45 down and the 2 inch continued to the wall as is to vent. Would this work or would that just make an "s" trap?

mahuska

Reaction score
It seems like it this system as i have drawn was looked at as a wet vent system then it could work (UPC 908.1) or i could tuck an island sink type vent under the rim of the tub (UPC 909.0)

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is in no way a wet vent system. There needs to be a fixture upstream for it to be wet vent. What you have is a flat vent which won't fly

mahuska

Reaction score
So if i delete the vent section going to the tub and use a long sweep or better a combo wye to connect the tub this becomes a branch and put a clean-out on the end of the wye using a 45 or 60 bend to angle it up to the tub service access that would work?

mahuska

Reaction score
I might have a solution that that will work avoiding the issues brought up. I with make the changes and post later.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like to work from the top first and then work my down.
I know I need vents through the roof. I know trap arms can only be so long. I start there.

mahuska

Reaction score
All great points and I tried two different layouts and I have a drawing of the second because the first would have required that I cut holes through the joist too close to the bottom. This second layout takes a vent from the tub to the wall. The first way took the water to the wall and then over to my vertical access but to keep 1/4 per foot I ended up with only and inch of joist left at the bottom of the hole.
plan 4 1.jpgplan 4 2.jpgplan 4 3.jpgplan 4 4.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The vent for the shower thar runs horizontal below the floor and over to the wall where it then goes vertical. You can't do that. The horizontal section will fill with waste over time, clog and become useless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks