Confirmation of DWV plan for laundry room/half bath combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Squints2See

Reaction score
Hello,

If I could get some confirmation that this plan is going to work it would be greatly appreciated. I am adding a half bath to an existing laundry room. Currently there is no vent at all in this room, thanks to an idiot builder. Also, the p-trap is below the floor in the basement (heated) between the floor joists. I prefer to keep this configuration as having the laundry stacked (front loaders) and having a custom cabinet to enclose it requires me to keep things pretty tight vertically. If I move the trap above the floor into the wall cavity, it will be hard to keep all of the connections (dryer vent, water lines, drain line, electrical) in a tight group to stay within the cabinet. From my research, WV abides by the IPC and the IRC which to my knowledge only require that the Standpipe be a maximum 42" from the trap which I should be able to meet, and no minimum requirement or same floor requirement.

Questions I have are:

- Do I need the vent for the Standpipe to be 2" or does the 1.5" suffice? (Distance to fresh air through roof maybe around 50' plus so this may make a difference)

- Currently the standpipe drains into a 2" line that runs 25'+ to the main 3" horizontal drain line at the back of the house. I thought about continuing to use this line and adding the lavatory into it, but that would leave the newly installed 3" line for the WC without a vent, which I assume is not allowed. Thoughts?

I will be sure to use SaniTee's for the vent/fixture connections and sweep elbows for the drain connections.

Also, the reason for the couple of turns below the standpipe before the p-trap is due to an LVL directly under the wall that cannot be cut into. I am going to try and squeeze the drains between the lvl and the next joist over and do away with the extra turns, but it may not be possible.
Bath-LaundryCombo.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
The washer trap under the floor wouldn't pass under the UPC code I am used to. And I am with Terry on the toilet vent.

Squints2See

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. So if I cannot count the Standpipe as a vent for the WC, I see 2 options:

1. Add a 2" vent between the WC and the Standpipe of the 3" line. (using a 3"x2" wye rolled so the vent starts above the center line of the drain)

2. If possible, have the drain for the Standpipe connect to the 3" line after the lavatory therefore enabling the lav. to act as a vent for the toilet. If so, I assume I would need the wet vent portion of the lav drain to be 2". If this is an option, would I need the vent from the lav on upward to be 2" or would 1.5" suffice? (unless my vent developed length was above 42' according to the IPC if I read it right)...

Are my perceived options correct? Thanks again...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks