Condo... water temp... Balance Valve...

Users who are viewing this thread

Basil1211

Reaction score
Hello...

I need some advise regarding the water temperature in a condo. The building is three stories and there is a unit above and below.

Recently I was unable to get cold water. After some testing I determined that the balance valve in the shower was defective. I tested by closing the cold water to the unit and opening the cold valve in the bathroom sink. Hot water came out.

I have since replaced the balance valve and the mixer valve in the shower and my testing seems to prove that the balance valve is working properly. However it is still seems there is hot being introduced to the cold. IT starts out cold and then eventually has a lukewarm feel.

Is it possible that if a balance valve below/above my unit is defective that this could eventually affect cold water?

Thanks,
MCA

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe it depends on how everything is plumbed. Are there janitor closets with mop sinks in the halls? Is there a recirulating pump? Have you got pictures to how the plumbing is connected and run around the hot water heater? Does each unit have a seperate line, a seperate hot watewr heater ? Are there backflow preventer for each unit etc?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There could be a cross over of hot to cold. That can happen if someone has a shutoff on a shower head and then leaves the shower valve on. The cold and hot cross over.

Basil1211

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the valve is a Kohler. Replace the balance valve and mixer valve last week. Building built in 1993 and I purchased in 2000. I am sure the originals were in...

I read about people shutting off the water at the head could cause this like you said. Will have to check with neighbors.

I also read that a hand held shower head could do this. It is a new tenant and she asked me to install a new hand held shower head. One with rock filtration. Can that affect water temp in the unit even with the mixer valve to off?

MCA

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The type of shower head won't make a difference IF the valve is working properly. Some single handle faucets/valves can allow a cross-over even when off. Some people do weird things on their washing machine hoses and can get mixing. If there's a hot water recirculation system, and a check valve is defective, it can make a cross-over when not intended. There are probably others as well.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
The reason I asked if the valve was a Kohler was not just a lucky guess. I have personally seen this problem in Kohler pressure shower valves, in the balancing spool. If you live in a three unit building it is likely that the contractor used identical fixtures and fittings in each unit. Focus your energy there. Clothes washer...possible but very unlikely unless the selonoid valve has failed. Claw foot tub, very likely with a separate shut off on the shower riser but what are the odds you're doing the Victorian thing? Button stop on a shower head will cause it as Terry suggested. Access the other units and you'll figure it out. My money is on a defective PB Kohler shower valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks