Condo noise problem with tub only

Users who are viewing this thread

condodweller

Reaction score
We're trying to complete some remodeling in our townhouse. We installed 2 new showers where we used to have only one, and now our neighbor is complaining of noise when we use the bathtub (not shower or other faucets). Her bedroom shares a common wall with both bathrooms.

Since the problem is limited to the tub, my thoughts are that the problem is caused by the volume of water coursing through the pipes. How can I limit the gpm for the tub? I haven't measured it, but I'm guessing the flow rate for the tub is greater than 5 gpm. Are low flow cartridges available?

Any ideas? I've already invested quite a bit in sound insulation, which has helped, but she's still not happy.

condodweller

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That's a funny arrangement where a bathroom in one unit shares a bedroom wall in another. Usually they try to put the wet walls back to back. Did you change something to make it this way? What did you do that water running to the tub is different now than before? Is it a different valve, or did you rearrange the piping?

The general rule in apartments and condos is you have to accept the as-built condition, and other than neighborly considerations, if someones tub, or someone walking on the floor above, disturbs you......that's tough! But if you changed something, especially if you did not have architecural committee approval from the HOA, you probably need to find a way to make her happy. You did get permission from the HOA for this remodel, right???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucets

Reducing the flow volume is a function of the faucet handles. Do not turn them on as far and the flow will be reduced. If that does not solve the problem, then flow is not the problem, and there is a different reason for the noise.

condodweller

Reaction score
Our HOA doesn't require permission for interior remodels, so I didn't get HOA permission. We are working with the city and permits, however, but they don't really care about the noise problem.

There always has been plumbing in the wall, but the existing pipes were for toilets and sinks. We had a jack and jill bath tub room (connected to 2 half baths), and we replaced it with 2 tubs/showers to create 2 full baths. The upswing is that the tub faucet was on a common wall with the master bath, and is now on the common wall with her bedroom.

We can't control the volume from the tub faucet - it is either off or on, and the rotating valve only controls temperature. Do I need to install a different faucet with volume control? I'd rather do something to permanently restrict the volume going through the faucet - my kids aren't so great about following directions such as "don't turn this handle past this point..."

Any other ideas? Thanks for your interest so far!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
what kind of noise did she complain about?

back to square one. Did you say anywhere what the noise was? Squeaking noise from someone's body on the tub walls? Pipe flow noise when filling the tub? Did she even tell you what the noise was like?

If it IS pipe fill noise, then upsize the pipe and valve, reduce the elbows and you'll have a smoother quieter flow. Also eliminate any point of contact between the piping and the wall structure, by taping, foaming or inserting padding.

Limiting the flow at the valve point may not work.

david

condodweller

Reaction score
Thanks.

It definitely is pipe flow noise. I still don't understand why there is no noise when the toilet, sinks, or shower are running though.

I'll let you know if we find something that works!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
contact (pipe to wall)

i'll bet that it's because of the pipe being in direct physical contact with the wall or structure. Try what happens when you insert a mechanical separator, something soft like a felt pad.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks