Condensing Tankless Water Heater Venting Material (ABS, PVC, or CPVC)

Users who are viewing this thread

janderson13

Reaction score
All,

I plan to install a Takagi tankless heater http://www.takagi.com/download/product_manuals/T-H3-DVOS-Installation-Manual.pdf

I'm confused as to what piping I should be using. I was planning to use ABS as the manual says that is ok as long as it can withstand 149 degrees F, is NOT foam core, and is ASTM D2661 compliant. I look at Home Depot and Lowes and they carry Charlotte ABS cellular core pipe (appears to be foam core), they say it has a heat rating of like 160 degrees F, and conforms to ASTM D2661. I realize that this appears to be foam core. I look at Charlotte's site and it says the pipe is only rated for 140 degrees F and is infact foam core, but that it is designed for venting applications.

So... I look at my furance venting that is done in ABS and it is using the same Charlotte ABS cellular core pipe - I'm starting to wonder if this is dangerous now? Or does the furnace allow for a lower specification of pipe?

I thought I would look for CPVC and they don't seem to carry that. I'll try Furgeson on Monday for the CPVP.

I'm wondering what other people are using and if I should replace my furnace pipe. The time to do it is now because we are finishing our basement.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The issue is how it reacts when it does get hot...a solid core product typically will stay firmer and not distort or sag (as much). The horizontal runs do need to be supported properly, and that helps minimize any issues. The existing pipe should have some markings on it which would allow you to verify if it is proper. If not, yes, I'd replace it while you have it open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks