Condensate Drain and no floor drain nearby

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Lakee911, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

What happens when you're installing A/C and there is no floor drain near the furnace? My furnace is about 30 feet from a condensate drain. It's installed behind the chimney (center of house) and the drain is in the corner of the house. Any creative options out there? Concrete saw and busting up some concrete? Pump? Ideas?

Thx
    Jason
  2. plumguy

plumguy New Member

I know some that have drilled a hole in the basement floor and put the drain pipe in the hole. I'm not sure how good or bad this practice is but I don't think there is enough water for long term damage or some type of washout to occur under the basement floor!
  3. finnegan

finnegan New Member

When you say the furnace is 30' from a condesate drain, do you mean a sump pump? floor drain? Condesate pumps work just fine and are not too expensive. You can just drill a small hole through your foundation and send the tube out. I would give that a shot before cutting through 30' of slab.
  4. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

Use a condensate pump to move the water the 30' to your drain.
  5. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

It's thirty feet to the floor drain. I have no sump pump as the house is 83 years old. I don't like the drill hole in the floor idea as I'm not sure there is gravel underneith the slab.

I like the pump idea. I did some googling and it looks like that just might do the trick. Should I plumb it in with some reducers into the waste stack (with a trap)?
  6. plumguy

plumguy New Member

The only problem with tying into you're waste stack is that if the condensate is not year round then the water in the trap could dry out and you would get sewer gas into you're home. The only solution to this would be a trap primer.
  7. Hube

Hube New Member

Run a drain line from the condensate pump over into the floor drain.This floor drain should already be trapped.
    At the furnace,s evaporator coil, for added safety, install a condensate line trap before actually entering into the condensate pump.
  8. casman

casman New Member

Mine runs along the ceiling joists and dumps into the laundry tub....