concrete slab no flange 3.5ID cast iron

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by bob123, Mar 11, 2007.

1. bob123

bob123 New Member

While renovating my home bathroom, I found the toilet sits directly on the slab (with wax ring) and no flange at all. Bolts were cemented into the slab. Pipe underneath is cast iron with 3 1/2 or perhaps 3 5/8 inside diameter. House built in 1956. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance...
    Bob
  2. enriquehobart

enriquehobart Plumber

You could try two things:

1) Hire a plumber to put a flange in.

2) Put a new wax ring down and reset. Maybe a bad idea?

If you go with option 1) Inform plumber and tile guy of your flooring plans if applicable. The flange should wind up being on top of the finished floor.

I'm an apprentice plumber (1.3 years). Would love to see a pic of that or run into it sometime soon on the job!

Good Luck!
  3. TedL

TedL New Member

Look for a flange like this

http://oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=11&subctg=3&prodgrpid=106

at HD or any plumbing supply house. Jones-Stephens makes comparable items. Also get four lead anchors fir #14 screws, and get 4 #14x 2 inch stainless screws.

Use a wire brush to clean up the inside of the pipe. Mark te hole locations, drill for the anchors, insert anchors, insert flange, insert screws. Total materials, $25 -30.

I just did this in a similar setup.
  4. coz

coz New Member

what ted said is how i do it also.