concrete shower base removal

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by lawilliams, Oct 12, 2004.

1. lawilliams

lawilliams New Member

concrete shower base removal or salvage?

I am trying to remodel my bathroom and am stuck on how to remove/ salvage my concrete shower base. I have removed the ceramic tile and now have just the base. Is it possible to keep the base and simply re-tile or am I going to have to re-do the base? Any suggestions on how to do either would be great b/c I have absolutely no idea.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  2. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

John Bridges where Are You?

You may want to go to Terry's friend's site, johnbridge.com. I don't see any sense of trying to save the pan but some of the tile setters there feel you don't always have to tear it out.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

base

If the old base had a membrane liner, then the concrete should come out easily once it is cracked into smaller pieces. If it does not have a liner, then the concrete should be removed and one installed. For the relatively small cost involved, I would never trust an old liner, (especially since it could have been damaged while removing the tiles), and redoing it afterwards would require starting over.
  4. lawilliams

lawilliams New Member

Thank You!

Thanks for the responses. The johnbridge.com site is exactly what I need as again I really don't know what I'm doing. Appreciate it.