Concrete Pipe 90 bend flush with basement floor. How to connect new pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Johnbentwin, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Johnbentwin

Johnbentwin New Member

House built in 1920's. Kitchen on first floor has 2" iron pipe that goes straight into basement slab without a vent. (Will change this with a AAV)

Half bath above the concrete drain in question has its own 4" cast iron stack. The vanity in this bathroom has its own galvanized iron pipe that goes straight down into the slab. A 2nd floor bath has has the main DWV stack that enters the basement floor in a different location.

The basement has four drains , one in the middle ~8-10", one on the side ~8-10", one by the boiler ~6", and one on the other side. (The one in the picture.

It appears to be made of concrete and is a 90 degree bend like a closet flange. The top of it is missing. How do I attach a new pipe to this so I can use it as a drain?

Does this have its own trap?

How do I tell a cleanout from a drain? Could this be for an old WC in the basement?

Thank you in advance.

Sewer_Pipe.jpg
  2. hagakure

hagakure New Member

A cleanout is always, or SHOULD always be a 45, but a drain can also lead into a 45 so you can't say it would only be a drain or cleanout. The only way to know is to break it up and take a look.

Is it your house or are you renovating for someone?

Always best to know what's there and you can't know if you don't break up the concrete and see what's there.

No one here could possibly know if it has a trap because the slab is still there.
  3. Johnbentwin

Johnbentwin New Member

This is my house. It is a clean and smooth sweep not a straight 45.

If it has a trap that would prevent me from using it as a drain correct? I hoped to use it for a laundry standpipe and utility sink or possibly just the utility sink.

Is there an internal fernco coupler that can attach to this?

If I have to break up the slab, not something I want to do, how far back do I have to go? Can a camera figure this out?

What would be the problem if it is a cleanout and not a drain?
  4. Johnbentwin

Johnbentwin New Member

How to cap the drain

If it is impossible to determine if this is a drain or a cleanout without breaking the concrete, then how should I cap this?

Can I put a pvc pipe 6" down and then fill the sides with mortar then cap with a dollar plug?

What do you suggest?

Thank you in advance.
  5. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

You need to be absolutely certain about what pipes are and where they go before you start attaching new sanitary drains to them.
    The opening you show may or may not even be connected to your house sewer. There is absolutely NOTHING you can do with that
    until you find out for sure what it is, and there is NO way you can connect some drain to it without opening up the floor slab.
  6. hagakure

hagakure New Member

As I was laying in bed last night I realized that what I wrote was ridiculous. Underground floor cleanouts can be 90's.

Anyway, you need to open that up.
  7. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

You do not need to break up anything yet, you do need a plumber with a sewer camera with a locator sond
    and tracer to track camera then and only then will know if you have to break slab flooring or anything else
  8. Johnbentwin

Johnbentwin New Member

I determined that it is a cleanout. Now I need to cap it.

How do I do that?

Do I put a piece of pvc and then cement around it and then put a dollar plug in the pvc?

Thanks.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; A cleanout is always, or SHOULD always be a 45,

I have installed THOUSANDS more cleanout into 90s than I have ever used 45s. Just looking at something, or a picture of something, tells us NOTHING about what its purpose is. Only a diagnostic evaluation can determine what the pipe is and how to handle it.
  10. Smooky

Smooky Member

There is no telling what it is. If there is no bad odor coming out that may mean that it has a trap. It could also mean that it is not connected to the sewer or septic tank but rather goes to a ditch or just out back somewhere. Old homes around here often have terracotta foundation drains. If the home has a basement these terrocata pipes similar to what you have that were in the basement floor. They usually drain out ground water to a ditch or other low place. Often the sewer pipes would be up near the ceiling of the basement to gravity flow out to the septic or to the sewer system.
  11. Smooky

Smooky Member