Compression vs. Soldered Stop Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
In what application do you guys use Sweat Angled Stop Valves. Aside if local code allows BOTH variants to be used.

I used to do all sweat angle stops, even the ones in vanity cabinets, etc - thinking they were a better connection than compression.

Thanks to the forum, I changed gears and have done compression stop valves.

I'm working on a job right now....noticed the plumbers are using sweat angled stops.
Just wanted to revisit this topic and hear it's merits/cons over compression, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
SWeat stops are a "make work" item, because they require more time to install and immensely more time to replace, (often not a DIY process either), so they are ofter a "union mandated" item. The only time I have ever used them was in my first house.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have been working at a ski area replacing plumbing fixtures. The soldered on stops cause a lot more work for me.
With compression, if I need to change them out, I can just use a tool and slide the sleeve off. With sweat-on, I have to get the water completley off, taking more time, and risking more damage. There is no way I would install solder-on shutoffs on my jobs.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a third option, the threaded angle stop. But you first have to install a male adapter on the wall nipple.
Easy to replace afterwards.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That takes as longer to install than a sweat stop, the thread is a leak point, and it takes up more "space" than either of the other two, besides looking clunky.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That takes as longer to install than a sweat stop, the thread is a leak point, and it takes up more "space" than either of the other two, besides looking clunky.

The leak issue you mention kept me from soldering on a male adaptor. I had originally sweated on angle stops in my bathroom and they failed so needed to be replaced. I ended up unsoldering them and putting on compressions.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a pointless argument! Either method will work and will last. The advantage of the compression connection is time to install, ease of installation, ease of repair/replacement, and zero disadvantage. Solder connections have no advantage over the compression and do have at least one possible disadvantage, that being the risk of fire when working with a torch in tight quarters.

SAS

Reaction score
If you're a DIY'er like me, nothing beats Sharkbite (or equivalent) stop valves. Easy to install and easy to replace (should you ever have to do so). I used to fiddle with compression fittings but no longer see any point in it. Sure you'll spend a few extra bucks on the Sharkbites, but they are pretty much idiot proof. If I were a contractor the cost could start to add up, but for a fitting here and there the cost isn't really significant.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Compression fittings are SOOO much easier than sweating a stop in a cabinet, etc.
The only issue with them for anybody would just be a ferrule puller if needed..

The only sharkbites I use ( and I LOVE THEM) is endcaps. They are invaluable to use doing rough ins, etc.
I have a full set on 1/2, 3/4 and 1"

I also have 3 of the Shark Bite Valves as it provides a easy temp way of getting water in the bathroom while doing intial rough ins, etc. when the permanent stuff has not been soldered/threaded in ---

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Compression fittings are SOOO much easier than sweating a stop in a cabinet, etc.
The only issue with them for anybody would just be a ferrule puller if needed..
--

All the hardware stores carry ferrule pullers now. That's the power of this forum. It was never like that before.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
Ferrule pullers are well worth it.

We bought a 1996 built house 18 months ago. I replaced every toilet, all 8 sinks and faucets and three toilets. Several stops would not shut off completely. The ferrule puller made removing 19 angle stops and replacing them with new 1/4 turn Dahl stops a breeze. It's a must have tool.

Mcgee22

Reaction score
I have been working at a ski area replacing plumbing fixtures. The soldered on stops cause a lot more work for me.
With compression, if I need to change them out, I can just use a tool and slide the sleeve off. With sweat-on, I have to get the water completley off, taking more time, and risking more damage. There is no way I would install solder-on shutoffs on my jobs.
I realize this is an old thread, which I am glad I found. I was planning to solder on angle stops for a bathroom sink. I have new stub-outs, but being a real novice with soldering an sweating... what is a sweat on angle stop? Does that connect with compression?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I realize this is an old thread, which I am glad I found. I was planning to solder on angle stops for a bathroom sink. I have new stub-outs, but being a real novice with soldering an sweating... what is a sweat on angle stop? Does that connect with compression?
A sweat on stop means it's soldered on. Imagine crawling inside a sink cabinet, putting a torch flame at the wall side of the stop, heating it so hot that the solder is melting, making a good seal. Smoke in your lungs and eyes. The wall is catching fire, the water is off, so have a spray bottle handy. Frankly, you would have to be out of your mind to "want" to do this.

A compression stop. Slide it on and tighten the backing nut. Done.

We replace stops all week long for replacing fixtures, and for new construction around the Seattle area, it's either a push fit stop, normally on PEX, or compression stops. There aren't any plumbers in the Seattle area soldering stops on.

Mcgee22

Reaction score
A sweat on stop means it's soldered on. Imagine crawling inside a sink cabinet, putting a torch flame at the wall side of the stop, heating it so hot that the solder is melting, making a good seal. Smoke in your lungs and eyes. The wall is catching fire, the water is off, so have a spray bottle handy. Frankly, you would have to be out of your mind to "want" to do this.

A compression stop. Slide it on and tighten the backing nut. Done.

We replace stops all week long for replacing fixtures, and for new construction around the Seattle area, it's either a push fit stop, normally on PEX, or compression stops. There aren't any plumbers in the Seattle area soldering stops on.
Thank you so much for the feedback. I completely understand not wanting to be in tight quarters with a torch. I looked at what my plumber did in my kitchen, and it looks like a compression, but not a quarter stop. I can see though where sweating might be helpful in not loosening length on the stub-out if the compression needs to be swapped out. However, since mine are new, I have plenty of room. Thank you again for the very helpful feedback.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I can see though where sweating might be helpful in not loosening length on the stub-out if the compression needs to be swapped out.
You don't need to lose length when swapping it out. Another tool aside from the puller is the ring splitter which IMHO is the better way to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks