Compression valve questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Guoan Zhong

Reaction score
Many website say the copper pipe should be all the way into the valve. What's the reason? For me, the pipe is old. I guess previous compression valve should left some kind of dent on the pipe. So when installing the new valve, I intentionally back off a little bit after the pipe is all the way into the valve, hoping that the new ring will avoid the old 'dent' location. Does it make sense?

Initially I hired plumbers to do this kind of job. One plumber just reuse the old nut and ring; another plumber use dope. I was not satisfied, I want to follow the instruction: install without dope. So I decided to do the rest of the job it by myself. I found it is not an easy job. To get the old ring and nut off the pipe, a special puller is needed. After taking off the old ring and nut, I found that it was also installed with dope. Anyway, after many adjustments, one out of four valves I installed still leaks a little bit. I took it off, and found the reason: the ring was little bit tilted: half has compression mark, and half not. How to avoid this happen again?

Compression fitting may be a good thing, but it is too hard to install. Searching the website, you can find that different people has different option, even the pros.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We sometimes cut a little off the end if there is room toward the wall to slide it in farther.
A light sanding with emory cloth on the pipe helps too.
We use the sleeve puller and use the new nut that comes with the shutoff. Sometimes they slide right off, and other times it can be very hard to remove them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks