Compression to MIP

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rmelo99, Feb 18, 2007.

1. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

I need to get an adapter / bushing some type of brass fitting to adapt a 1/2" compression valve/stop for a bathroom sink to a 1/2" MIP.

I got stuck with another 3 "contemporary" "european" bath faucets that hoses fit on a 1/2" MIP.

I just need help if this animal exists to correctly name it so I can go an pick up some.

Thanks
    Rem
  2. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Attached Files:

3. TedL

TedL New Member

The compression side you show looks to be female, as they all tend to be. Did you mean to say male?

Sounds like you just need to use a 1 inch length of 1/2 inch (that's OD, not trade size, right?) tubing between the stop and the adapter you pictured.

If not, i don't understand what you're saying.
  4. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Yes if I used a short length of tubing with the adapter pictured it would work for me. I actually did something similar before to deal with a 3/8" problem.

The vanities these are going under are all glass and looks are important. I would just like a bushing of sorts that will bump the 1/2" comp to pipe. Is that too much to ask for? Am I looking for the adaptor that doesn't exist?
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ips

Why not do it the right way and change the valves to the ones with a 1/2 mip outlet? They are almost as easy to find as the standard ones, in fact easier in some areas.
  6. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

I just changed the valves to the 1/2" from 3/8" because I was told that the faucets were 1/2". I just didn't think the faucet supply lines would be 1/2" FIP.

I will change out the valves in a heartbeat. I couldn't find 1/2" MIP at the Depot only compression valves. If they are common I will check the supply house. Just to double check they come in chrome like regular bath valves, right? Just want to make sure you weren't referring to a brass valve that comes in 1/2" MIP.
  7. TedL

TedL New Member

The big blue box carries the line of products in this catalog in the chrome plated brass version. Go to pages 57 - 60 of the PDF to find what you want:

http://www.upt.com/images/KeeneyCatalog2006.pdf

The big orange box carries the Brasscraft line, I believe. I'm sure you can find their catalog online also.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valves

The valves will be labeled "slip joint outlet" or 1/2" copper by slip joint. There will be a nut and rubber washer on the outlet that you will throw away.