Compression sleeve damaged copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerry Meeker

Reaction score
I have several supply line shutoff valves in my master bathroom that are corroded, and I decided to replace them before they caused any issues. They are typical 5/8 OD valves with compression fittings connected to copper supply lines. When I removed the valves, I had difficulty removing the old compression sleeves and nuts. I decided to try my luck in re-using the old sleeves and nuts. After carefully applying thread tape and installing the new valves, I was left with several connections with slow leaks.

I ordered a special tool on the internet that is designed to remove the old sleeves and nuts. The tool worked well, but when the old sleeve was removed, it revealed that the copper supply line had some grooves where the sleeve sat, probably because the connection had been over-tightened. Now, even with a new sleeve and nut, I still can't get a drip-free connection.

My question is this: can the supply line be repaired without tearing out the drywall? Is this a reasonably straight-forward job for a professional plumber? Can you describe the steps that would be taken to make the repair? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We sometimes need to cut back the 1/2" pipe from the wall to find proper sized pipe for the new sleeve.
Never use tape on a compression fitting.
There is almost no place where tape can be used. I spend a lot of time in peoples homes removing tape to fix leaks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A pic would help. There is more than one way to fix it, and with a pic it will be easier to recommend. A pic may show us the extent of the "damage".

1. It could be a simple case of tightening a little more, using 2 wrenches, just don't bend the nipple out of shape.
2. If the nipple from the wall is long enough, you can cut the damaged area and install a new compression valve on the undamaged portion.
3. You can solder a 1/2" male adapter and use a threaded angle stop.
4. You can also solder a sweat angle stop instead.

Jerry Meeker

Reaction score
We sometimes need to cut back the 1/2" pipe from the wall to find proper sized pipe for the new sleeve.
Never use tape on a compression fitting.
There is almost no place where tape can be used. I spend a lot of time in peoples homes removing tape to fix leaks.
Well, it will be pretty simple to remove the valve, clean off the thread tape, and re-install it. Of course, the Internet is a great source of advice, some of it good, some of it not so good. I read on one advice site that using tape on the compression sleeve was something to try as a last resort. It will be simple to try without tape, so I appreciate your suggestion.

If the supply line needs to be cut back, will the plumber need to solder on a new section of pipe? The line doesn't stick out of the drywall very far.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We sometimes remove the escutcheon to find some more room. Or at times bury the nut into the wall some.
You can use pipe dope on the threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks