Compression Shut Off Valve - Secrets

Users who are viewing this thread

Alaska-Ron

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace an old compression shut off valve on my toilet water line.
- The sleeve nut comes loose, but the old valve doesn't want to come off the pipe, I don't want to use too much pressure on it and break the pipe inside the wall.
- Also if I get the old valve off how do I get the old compression ring off the 1/2" copper pipe?
Any secrets or ideas to get the old valve off? (I hate to cut it off because I'd only have 1" of pipe sticking out of the wall afterwards.) Thank you in advance for any secrets or suggestions!) Ron :(

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the nut is all the way loose, the valve should just pull away with little effort.

You have some options from there

1) IF the nut threads on the new valve are the same, you can leave the nut and compression ring in place and connect the new valve. This usually works with no issue. ( The big IF is the threads)
2) Get a compression ring puller from any hardware store. This will remove the nut and ring. Now the only issue is if the original ring was overtightened, the pipe may be dimpled such that it will be difficult to make the new ring seal . See #3

3) You can solder a male adapter on the copper and use an IPS valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks