compression nut leaking on cold water to sink

Users who are viewing this thread

firsttimer

Reaction score
I have a shutoff valve attached to the cold water (copper) line running up to vanity sink. Its connected via compression nut. I'm wondering if i've compressed too far? or not far enough? I have a steady leak of water droplets out of there, i'd say 5 drops per min? do i need to keep tightening or have i "ruined" the connection and need to re-cut the copper and reinstall a new compression valve?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I would shut the water off, remove the valve and see if you have dimpled the copper where the ferrule is. From there, if it isn't, then I would redope and reinstall, snug it tight. If the leak persists, slightly turn it with a wrench until it stops. I rarely have problems with compression valves leaking; if I do then the quick turn of the wrench usually takes care of the problem.

TheZster

Reaction score
That's what usually kills me... overtightening them.

Just installed 3 of them yesterday... After cutting the caps off the pipes, I cleaned them thoroughly with emery cloth. Then I put the fittings on, tightening them, I thought, just enough to keep them from flying off when I turned the water back on... I thought I'd let them drip from a loose connection, then slowly tighten them till they were dry. I'll be darned if they didn't work perfectly from the start... 36 hours later.... still good.

Last edited:

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
yup, that's the trick for me... only took once (in early apprentice years) to overtighten one. Full blown pressure charging out of a 1/2" pipe is not fun!!! I immediately adopted the practice of under-tightening, and snugging up the nut once the pressure was on and the water was running to the fixture. For old ones that seem to suddenly spring dribbles now, I give them the tiniest of cranks you could possibly imagine with the water flowing, and it gives them several more good years to go. No dope on that stuff, a ferrule only!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks