Compression fittings for PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Compression shutoff on pex. Brasscraft makes a compression fitted shutoff valve for pex, but I've not found them at a couple of places I looked. I had the rough-in done, but I've only to add the shutoffs. I'd rather not call the plumber back in to just add the shutoffs now that the drywall is up. The connection uses a stainless steel insert in the tubing, and the normal ferrele and nut on the shutoff. It appears that the compression shutoffs at the big box stores from Brass Craft would work if I could locate the ferreles. Course, if I can find them, I can probably buy the shutoffs with them in it. Those that they package for pex are limited in style. They do sell the ferreles separately, which lead me to think that it might just work fine with other compression fittings with the use of the ferrele. Is this a correct assumption? Do any of the tool rental stores rent the expander tool? What do they cost? It may be cheaper to just buy the tool than the cost of a plumber around here. Then I could use the ones with the barbs designed for PEX.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

You do not put the valves on the stubs until the cabinets are in place, unless you want to cut a large hole in the cabinet back so the valves can pass through it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'm aware of that, just trying to work out the mechanics of attaching a stop to PEX. Figure it would cost probably over $100 plus materials to have the guy come back and install the valves. My labor is cheap! but having trouble finding the right parts as pex is not normally a do-it-yourself task, most stores don't carry the stuff. The plumbing supply places I've looked only carry the barbed stops - they weren't aware that they make compression versions. They show several in the BrassCraft catalog. What they don't say, and I still don't know for sure, is if any compression valve would work if you used the separately available ferrele. The stuff does seem to fit together, but without the ferrele, I can't test it. One more place to look today.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I found some valves at a distributor...none of the plumbing supply houses around other than the distributor had any.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks