Compression fittings and brass pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Gravity, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Hi, I was going to install shutoff valves on existing 1/2" brass cold and hot water lines. Can I use valves with 1/2" compression inlets? Do they play nice with brass pipe? Or should I use 1/2" sweat connection?

If I sweat it, is there any need to modify my copper pipe soldering technique for brass pipe?

Thanks!

And before anyone mentions it, I know PEX is awesome and the greatest thing since sliced bread, blah blah blah but it isn't in the budget for this renno.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A threaded brass nipple needs threaded stops.
    1/2" copper can use either sweat on stops, or compression.

1/2" copper is 5/8" OD

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Thanks for the response, Terry.

As a hypothetical, what if I cut back existing brass pipe with a sawsall and there was no threaded end left? Could you use compression on that?

Thanks again.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would not do that.
    I'm not aware of a compression fitting for those. There are plenty of stops that thread on though.
    It's an easy job to spin on a new stop.
  5. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Excellent, thank you Terry!

Best,
    Mike
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There are no "compression", or solder, fittings for brass pipe. They are threaded and screwed. What are you trying to do? How about a picture, in case you are describing the task improperly?
  7. dj2

dj2 Member

I suspect that the OP cut off the thread on the brass nipple.

If that's the case, unscrew the brass nipple and replace it with a new one.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If thatis case, then it was a "do something even if it is wrong" action/reaction.
  9. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Thanks guys. I'll just spin on a new top as Terry suggested.

I am actually just in the planning stages of a small kitchen renno and the 1/2" cold and hot water pipe under the sink is brass so I was just wondering if I could just cut the pipe back with a Sawsall and get new shutoffs with 1/2" compression fitting connections to be used on the brass pipe. I know enough about plumbing to be dangerous but everything in my house is so different from modern construction standards that I always make sure I come here before putting saw to pipe!
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

What is the OD of the brass pipe? The stuff is pretty stiff, so a compression fitting probably wouldn't seal, even if the size was okay.

FWIW, in MA, doing ANY plumbing without a license and a building permit can get you into hot water, so beware.