Compression Fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Bertman48

Reaction score
I read an article that recommended putting pipe joint compound all over the ferrule when installing a compression shut-off valve. Is that a good recommendation?

Also, does the supply line copper tubing have to be inserted all of the way into the shut-off valve or can it be partially inserted?

Thanks,
Bertman48

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The copper tubing should be inserted all the way to ensure proper mechanical alignment and resistance against bending. Otherwise, it can bend and the ferrule won't always seal properly and permanently.

The pipe dope contans a little oil that will cut down the friction between the nut and the ferrule. It usually isn't going to hurt if you don't get carried away. On the other hand, it is not a magic potion to fix a misaligned or overtorqued fitting.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Plumbers grease, a little 3-in-one oil, or some dope are all good to prevent future galling. I do like to use teflon paste. I would no use some of the "stiffer" non-teflon pastes, as some of then actually take a set over time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sleeve_puller_2.jpg

Sleeve puller

At the most, I use a light spray oil on the threads.
Most of the time, I don't even do that.

I replace compression stops all the time.
Some use more than that, but I never have.

Compression fittings work well.
They are one of the fastest methods around, and they still allow for replacement with a sleeve puller, which I have in the tool box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks