Compression Fitting Weeping Solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Wrex

Reaction score
A few days ago the saddle valve on my fridges ice maker leaked.

What a mess after I shut the water off I decided to do it the right way by sweating in a T and installing a REAL valve so that I wouldn't have to deal with this again.

Unfortunately upon further insepection whoever originally installed the ice maker tubing didn't take much care while bending the copper tubing it was horribly kinked in certain places so I decided to replace the tubing as well.

Soldering is like second nature to me and that went quickly as did running and carefully bending the tubing. However I had a real issue with those pesky compression fittings.

I had some minor weeping coming from the compression fitting by the fridge I made very sure that the pipe was straight into the seat on the solenoid valve and securely clamped to the fridge body.

Tightening in an attempt to stop this weeping eventually deformed the ferrule (why I hate these fittings) and I had to cut the pipe and start over.

Frustrated with this I searched for an answer and found an answer in a Bob Vila video on a website the plumber did something that I didn't think of.

He said to wrap the ferrule with 3 turns of teflon tape to stop these pesky leaks.

Sure enough it worked the first time not even a drop of water weeping.

I use teflon tape all the time on threaded pipes but I never would have thought of using it like this.

I was just wondering if anyone else knew of this trick or uses it?

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Didn't know of it, never needed it. I just make sure the fitting, ferrule, and pipe are squeaky-clean, squirt a little WD-40 on the fitting threads, and tighten 'er up. I do have some spare ferrules on hand just in case...

spryde

Sr. IT Analyst
Reaction score
Website
www.pryde.org
I hate saddle valves. I eventually pulled mine off, replaced the pipe it was on and put new branch line with a ball valve over to a new fridge box.

Overkill? Yes. Did it right? Hell yes.

SP

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes Mikey, It is something you would want... Makes for a nice clean installation.

IceMakerValveBox.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
teflon

It is not a "trick", it is a bandage to cover a bad installation. If installed properly the ferrule does not leak, and nothing is required to "help" it seal.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I use stainless steel braided lines for my ice maker. It avoids all of the problems you have had with pesky thin copper tube (kinks, ferrules, compression fitting etc.).

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Its very common practice with pesky compression rings, especially when refitting an existing nut and ferulle

Mikey

Reaction score
Yes Mikey, It is something you would want... Makes for a nice clean installation.
Nice. Wish I'd known about these things 2 years ago, but I'm getting better at patching drywall, and hey -- it's behind the refirgerator! That's a PEX gizmo, near as I can tell from the Watts site, but Oatey makes a small one with either CPVC, copper, or PEX:

icemaker valve35338611.jpg

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I use 1/4" PEX tubing for icemakers, with Delrin ferrules. I don't have any problems with leaks. Nor do I have these problems when using 1/4" copper tubing with brass ferrules when making repairs. Maybe it just takes a practiced hand?

And the thought of listening to that idiot Bob Vila for plumbing advice just makes me shiver . . .

Wrex

Reaction score
And the thought of listening to that idiot Bob Vila for plumbing advice just makes me shiver . . .

Ha ha I know I caught a video clip on the Internet I don't watch him I almost turned it off until I saw some white tape when they showed the compression fitting.

Oddly enough I didn't need to tape where the tubing went into the valve (no movement) however it seems that even the minute twisting of the tubing when pulling out the fridge (even though it was clamped to it) caused it to weep.

Maybe I should clean the ends where the ferrules go better in the future?

I clean fittings that I sweat very well but for some reason I don't pay as much attention to compression fittings.

Maybe you're right about little experience I just sweat copper whenever I can and avoid these fittings like the plague.

I couldn't bear to use plastic tubing I've heard stories of it blowing off at the fittings and spraying water everywhere.

I thought about braided steel as well but I would have had to enlarge the holes in the studs. Plus you can't cut braided to size and would have to shove the excess somewhere. So I went the easiest route with copper.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Nice. Wish I'd known about these things 2 years ago, but I'm getting better at patching drywall, and hey -- it's behind the refirgerator! That's a PEX gizmo, near as I can tell from the Watts site, but Oatey makes a small one with either CPVC, copper, or PEX:

View attachment 4095

Found 5 of these on Craigslist for $8 apiece.

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Do it all the time

A few days ago the saddle valve on my fridges ice maker leaked.

What a mess after I shut the water off I decided to do it the right way by sweating in a T and installing a REAL valve so that I wouldn't have to deal with this again.

Unfortunately upon further insepection whoever originally installed the ice maker tubing didn't take much care while bending the copper tubing it was horribly kinked in certain places so I decided to replace the tubing as well.

Soldering is like second nature to me and that went quickly as did running and carefully bending the tubing. However I had a real issue with those pesky compression fittings.

I had some minor weeping coming from the compression fitting by the fridge I made very sure that the pipe was straight into the seat on the solenoid valve and securely clamped to the fridge body.

Tightening in an attempt to stop this weeping eventually deformed the ferrule (why I hate these fittings) and I had to cut the pipe and start over.

Frustrated with this I searched for an answer and found an answer in a Bob Vila video on a website the plumber did something that I didn't think of.

He said to wrap the ferrule with 3 turns of teflon tape to stop these pesky leaks.

Sure enough it worked the first time not even a drop of water weeping.

I use teflon tape all the time on threaded pipes but I never would have thought of using it like this.

I was just wondering if anyone else knew of this trick or uses it?

I do that alll the time, and I love it.
What happens is, when you'r tightnening the nut and ferrule, the friction of turning against the ferrule will weld on to the other. T-tape povides lube to the joint and ergo no leak.
Have fun,:cool::cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks