compression fitting dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

platypusjones

Reaction score
Hey All-
Quick question about compression fittings. i need a tip. I'm installing a 1/4 inch copper line to my new fridge for the ice machine. i started off with one of those universal kits with a saddle valve...but then read up a little and returned it. i got some flex copper line and a two way outlet valve. all the other fittings went well (i.e., under the sink). however, i'm having too much of a time getting the line hooked up to the input on the back of the fridge. again, i'm using 1/4 inch flex copper line, 1/4 inch ferrule, and 1/4 inch compression nut. the line is straight where it enters the inlet, and i'm pushing it all the way in. it seems to sit in there well. when i put the ferrule on with the comp nut, i can't get the nut to bite. i turn and it feels like it's going to snug, then it loosens. i thought the threads on the inlet might have stripped but when i put the comp nut on by itself, it goes right on hand tight, so... i'm thinking the ferrule might be too big (high) for the nut to get a good seat, but all the sizes match. any tips? wit's end...
thanks.
pjones

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Will the nut start with just the ferrule?

Personally I'd just use a braided stainless steel ice meker line.
And not the watts floodsafe variety that big orange box sells either!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nut

It sounds like you are not getting the copper straight into the fitting. Put the nut and ferrule on first and then slide the tubing through them, making sure it goes all the way in.

platypusjones

Reaction score
nut

redwood-
when i try the ferrule with the nut (without the line), it does not tighten. i think the ferrule might be fabricated incorrectly.

hj-
the line is straight...well, as straight as flex copper can be (that is no significant bends, flares, squashes or burrs.)

thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

platypusjones

Reaction score
update

well, it was the ferrule. went to the local hardware store and picked up a new one, as well as a new nut for good measure. when i compared them, the old one was much more rounded than the new one; the new one had a noticeably more tapered angle. 60 cents and two minutes and it's all together, kicking out ice.

the small things...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks