Composite granite kitchen sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Boo

Reaction score
Hi:

Does anyone have experience with composite granite sinks - specifically durability and stain-resistance? I have my eye on one made by Moen that looks great and supposedly has a good warranty, but have been told by someone at our local Home Expo that he's heard of two occasions when these types of sinks actually shattered. First was someone who dropped a frozen turkey into it and the other happened in the store when an employee accidentally dropped the sink from "not too high up."

I really don't want cast iron (too heavy) and stainless (too common and prone to scratching) - had both in the past. I hate to pay $800+ and have the granite fabricated to the specific shape of this sink only to have to replace it in the near future.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

I hope you have heard the story of the airliner windshield crash test that failed when they shot a frozen chicken instead of a thawed one at it. A frozen turkey is like a bowling ball and will damage many sinks possibly be breaking them loose from their mounting even if the sink isn't damaged. And once the sink is installed you are not supposed to "drop them from not too high". ANY sink is going to be damaged somehow by "dropping them from not too high".

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
very durable....

The Moen unit is pretty durable....

Unless you plan on hitting it with a claw hammer
to see how durable it is , or decied to toss a brick
into it from 10 feet away to so see if it knicks.....

it will most likely handle
just about anything you throw at it or in it....

Rich H

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
When I renovated my bathroom a couple years ago I installed a one piece 'granite look composite' vanity top - the Home Depot brand. It's actually very nice. It was easy to work, fabricating around the face frame of a linen closet and shaping the backsplash to fit the wall, etc. It's holding up very will to my wife and her curling iron, 2 small kids and their assorted bath toys being thrown on it, etc. I'm impressed, would install it again. Obviously a different application for you, but my impression of that general type of material is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks