Composit Granite kitchen versus Stainless Steel kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

JLM

Reaction score
I apologize if this is the wrong forum! We are doing a renovation and are considering a composite granite sink but have read some reviews indicating problems with a white haze (we want black). Should I just stick with the old standard stainless steele?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anything black is likely to get scratched and appear less than black eventually. A sink gets a lot of abuse. As long as you don't get a polished SS sink (which since it will get scratched, now looks funky with the other areas nice and shiney), it will be better long-term. In the short-term, the composite sink will probably be quieter, especially if you have a disposal attached (but the better ones of those are pretty quiet now, regardless). I do not know if you can repolish the composite sink. You may find that is an acceptable way to extend the time it looks good. no idea if it can be done, or how successful, or how easy it is.

CollinLeon

Old Fart
Reaction score
I have had cast iron, brushed stainless steel, and the composite plastic type sinks in various houses that I've owned. The cast iron looks the best in my opinion, but from a maintenance standpoint, a brushed stainless steel is best. The cast iron just give you a feeling of permanence that you do not get with a stainless steel sink that instead of going "thunk" when you hit it, goes "ding"... Of course, there are some higher gauge (thickness) stainless steel sinks that are quite a bit better than the normal ones that you find being used. Scratches on brushed stainless steel are not that noticeable and you can take a 3M scrubber to the metal and clean off anything that might get on it. If you do that on a polished stainless steel sink, you will be slowly converting it to brushed on... Of course, I prefer to install a stainless steel sink over a cast iron one since they are tremendously lighter... One other thing ... Cast iron sinks tend to break dishes and glasses if they slip out of your hand when you are washing them... That is not as likely to happen with a stainless steel sink...

JLM

Reaction score
We opted for the Elkay Double Bowl Sink with Aqua Divide Model ELUHAQD32179. It says it has a satin finish (I assume this is similar to brushed). There just seemed to many questions about the granite composite? We also could not decide between the 50/50 versus the 60/40. This is sort of a compromise. It is the shape of a 50/50 but one of the bowls is bigger and they are separated by what they call an aqua divide; it only goes half way up. They advertise, you have the function of a double, 60/40 and one big sink. Thanks for all of the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks