Complex Question About Pumping Septic

Users who are viewing this thread

Sariah Hopkins

Reaction score
We are putting in an apartment in the hay loft to a barn. The septic system on the property is a 5 bedroom system, 3 chamber tank, with only a 3 bedroom house. The distance from the barn to the tank is 625 feet, and the elevation is about 15 feet higher where the tank is than where the barn is.

Since we have the capacity on the system, we ideally wanted to pump to the existing system instead of having a new septic system installed just for the barn apartment.

Is this even possible? I haven't found any guidance on pumping septic more than 100 feet, and we are looking at 625 feet.

If it is possible, would we need to install a tank to the barn, and then just run a pumped line up to the existing system for liquid waste so it can share the leach field?

Any advise is appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Once you install the pump, you can pump it to the Moon, if the pump is large enough. But the pump system and piping will probably cost more than a separate septic system and the septic will have a LOT fewer problems in the long run.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a pro.

I think you would need a pump of about this class: http://www.pumpproducts.com/liberty...k-float-switch-208-230v-25-ft-cord-p-481.html
Long pipe to septic schedule 40 PVC,
I don't know how much it would cost to trench in that pipe.

So unless there is something special that makes putting in a new smaller septic system in difficult (such as excessive permitting fees or requirements for engineering studies and environmental impact studies), hj has pointed you to the better solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks