Completely new well setup needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Johhny

Reaction score
Ha! I literally just ordered that honda generator the other day to have something a little more portable for doing work on the property. If I wanted to shell out the $ for another, I could sync two together to run the pump, but those suckers are expensive.

Texas Wellman - are you suggesting that I get a big tank, fill it all at once, and then draw water from the tank as needed so I'm not constantly running the well pump? If so, what do you suggest I use in order to get the water from the tank to its final use?

The well installer seemed like he was suggesting using 1.5 inch pipe for a gravity system because I would get more pressure from a shorter height, but I may have been reading into things. I'm assuming I could also hook a pump up to the tank that requires a smaller energy source to get water from the tank to wherever it needs to go?

Thanks again to everyone who is helping!!

I was referring to the 230V inverter generator, but the same is true of the UPS.

Get a genny with remote start and as big a tank as you can afford.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Ha! I literally just ordered that honda generator the other day to have something a little more portable for doing work on the property. If I wanted to shell out the $ for another, I could sync two together to run the pump, but those suckers are expensive.

Texas Wellman - are you suggesting that I get a big tank, fill it all at once, and then draw water from the tank as needed so I'm not constantly running the well pump? If so, what do you suggest I use in order to get the water from the tank to its final use?

The well installer seemed like he was suggesting using 1.5 inch pipe for a gravity system because I would get more pressure from a shorter height, but I may have been reading into things. I'm assuming I could also hook a pump up to the tank that requires a smaller energy source to get water from the tank to wherever it needs to go?

Thanks again to everyone who is helping!!

Not sure if he meant Fuel Tank or Water Tank.

But both would be good.

That new generator should run your pump with no problem.

I bigger Pipe does not give you more pressure. Unless theory has changed.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy a big poly tank (unpressured) about 1,000 gallons. Then get a 12V DC pressure pump like a shur-flo or similar. Put a nice size 12V battery on the shurflo and then connect a 12-V solar panel with MPPT charger to the 12V battery.

Run the Genset/submersible to fill the large tank about once a week (month/day/year/whenever it gets empty). Then use the 12V pump to supply whatever water you neeed. Not the way I would have done it but since you already have the "wrong" pump in the hole best way to get what you need without having to burn fuel.

PS...If you're only using small amount of water then just use the genset/pump and get a large PRESSURE tank. Run water when you need and then pressure up the tank with the genset when needed.

Last edited:

Johhny

Reaction score
Thanks Texas Wellman (and everyone else!) This was all super helpful. I think I'm going to get a big ol tank and find a 5 gpm shur-flow and run it with the new generator until I get around to finding a good battery/solar system.

Big a big poly tank (unpressured) about 1,000 gallons. Then get a 12V DC pressure pump like a shur-flo or similar. Put a nice size 12V battery on the shurflo and then connect a 12-V solar panel with MPPT charger to the 12V battery.

Run the Genset/submersible to fill the large tank about once a week (month/day/year/whenever it gets empty). Then use the 12V pump to supply whatever water you neeed. Not the way I would have done it but since you already have the "wrong" pump in the hole best way to get what you need without having to burn fuel.

PS...If you're only using small amount of water then just use the genset/pump and get a large PRESSURE tank. Run water when you need and then pressure up the tank with the genset when needed.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks Texas Wellman (and everyone else!) This was all super helpful. I think I'm going to get a big ol tank and find a 5 gpm shur-flow and run it with the new generator until I get around to finding a good battery/solar system.

When you do get ready for a Battery a AGM type is the way to go for that application. They will last a lot longer.

They cost a bit more, But it only cost a little more to go first class.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks