comparing electric motors

Users who are viewing this thread

Zunden

Reaction score
I've been shopping cross-referenced ¾ hp blower motors and noticed that they vary in full-load current between 8.9 amps and 11.3 amps. They all are labeled for 1075 rpm and require 15/370 run capacitors. Is the difference in amps significant? Thanks.

Zunden

Reaction score
hj,
That's good news. I stumbled onto the highest amp motor – the Toptech TT-E75-3SP1(11.3 amp) which had been advertised as “GE.” The TopTech packaging cross-referenced the following motors AO Smith DL1076(8.9 amp), Fasco D728(10.5 amp), Emerson 8904(9.1 amp), Marathon X009(10.3 amp), Mars 03589(10.3 amp). Thanks again.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Sorry, but the lower the amps and the higher the service factor makes a good motor.

The lower amps means a higher efficiency motor; more copper and better clearances internally. better or more run caps. Does the same work for less electric draw.

Take a 23 watt flourescent bulb VS a 100 watt resistance bulb as an example of getting more for less.

Take a look here, some only draw 8 amps. That is what you want.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/di...ors/hvac-motors/motors/ecatalog/N-9y5Z1z0o3x7

Looks like all blower motors have a 1.0 service factor, so go for the lowest amp draw.

Last edited:

Zunden

Reaction score
ballvalve,
Thanks for the update and link to Grainger. The 8 amp motor at Grainger is a 5-speed; my system specs a 3-speed. HVAC forums advised me that 5-speed motors will work, including more efficient and expensive ECM motors, but questioned the actual savings and the practicality of spending significant money on an 18-year old system. After some hours on the web, my gut feeling was that the risks of my screwing up the wiring or speeds and the costs of professional service and ECM motors weren't justified. I will order the lowest draw, 3-speed PSC motor as you advise. The current motor will be my emergency standby so I don't get caught again in a big snowstorm without a motor. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks