Comparing a couple of Toto Drake models

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by eldoubleu, May 8, 2014.

1. eldoubleu

eldoubleu New Member

Hi. We're remodeling three bathrooms and are in the process of selecting some Toto toilets. For the master bath we've selected the Drake model CST744SG std height, transitional tank, 1.6GPF, elongated bowl with Sanagloss. For the 2nd full bath we've selected the Drake model CST743S std height, 1.6 GPF, round bowl (due to limited space, not lower cost), transitional tank. For our half bath, we were going with the same Drake model CST743S until my wife saw the Eco Drake model CST743EN in a showroom, std height, 1.28 GPF, round bowl (again due to limited space), new style transitional tank with flat lid and lip, which my wife really likes the look of (sorry, I know some folks don't agree...) for the half bath. All installation will be done by the remodeling contractor, FYI. Both our kids are adults so it's mostly the two of us at home. My wife's 5 ft 1 3/4 in. and really doesn't like the ADA height toilets.

Here are my questions:

Is there a noise level difference between the 1.6 and the 1.28 models when flushed, and is it noticeable? All my research says both perform well, just wondering if the lower volume of water makes more noise (more forceful flow, etc....)? I'm assuming they are similar enough not to hear a difference, just checking.

We're considering the Toto Softclose toilet seats. We've been happy with our original builder grade hard plastic seats on our Crane toilets for the last 20 years, but since we're upgrading all the bathrooms we thought we'd consider updated seats too. The Softclose seats seem expensive compared to normal seats, but I'm not concerned about the cost, mostly just checking to see if these seats get annoying after a while or if people think they're a good thing (price aside). Is there a popular non soft-closing option?

Glad I discovered this site- what a great resource it's been!

Lou
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The seats, like any chair you may sit on, may feel good to one, and lousy to another. I don't have an issue with them, some people do. There is more than one version - the two more common ones differ in how flat they are. Some do not like the cover - it's nor real rigid...you can sit on it without problems, but it does flex. Another company that makes softclose seats is Bemis. For a round toilet, any round seat will fit, (same is true with elongated on an elongated toilet) but the factory seats will fit the contours better and match colors better, but it's usually subtle.

What you might want to do is take the old seats off, buy only one new one, see how you like it, while using the others...it's only two bolts to remove and replace them, so it's not a big deal. Well, the new ones have a little plastic cover that snaps in to cover the screw head, but it's still not a big deal.

The newer toilets flush quite fast. You might get a slight gurgle, but it's over almost as soon as it starts. And, because they use so little water, they refill very quickly and the filler valves Toto uses (most of them are made by Korky in the USA), operate quietly with no thumps or noises when they shut off.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

For most users, having a slow closing seat is a game changer. That seat has sold more toilets thana anything else I know. How do you possibley get annoyed with a seat that goes back down by barely touching it. And if you have a sore back, do you really want a heavy wood seat that needs to be brought down to bowl level by hand? Not me. Call me lazy, but I like labor saving devices.

Plastic seats can go twenty years. I like plastic for that reason.

For men, and many women, elongated is the way to go. I sell 80%, maybe higher of the elongated. If you have a really small bath, like a door that swings in, then that would be the only excuse for a round bowl. I see no reason why a man would okay a round bowl, unless he didn't have a choice.

Noise levels are pretty similar between the tanks and bowls. A lot has to do with room acoustics and how it's plumbed. I can take the same bowl, and move it around the home, and sound levels will change. I installed a $5,000 toilet the other day, and they were unhappy with the noises that all the bells and whistles added. The room it was in had all solid surfaces, setting on tile. There was nothing to soak up the echo in the room, and of course next to the master.
    If you like less cleaning, by all means spring for the Sanagloss finish. You will notice a difference in a good way. :)
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

The SS114 is a great seat. If you like the plastic seats, this is a nice sturdy thick plastic.

That N tank is available on all the models you mention, except that it only comes in 1.28 (E) and not in a 1.6 (S) version. That said, you can change the flapper to an adjustable one and get 1.6gpf out of the N tank if you really find that you need it. Frankly, most people can't tell the difference. The only difference between the 1.28 and 1.6 models is the settings of the guts in the tank. The china is identical, and the bowls are the same as well. E tank on the bowl, it's a 1.28, S tank it's a 1.6. An S tank is basically an E tank with a different flapper that meters out a different amount of water. Everything else is the same. (There used to be an S bowl, but it has been eliminated. Both the S and E tanks go on the same (E) bowl, which works great on 1.28gpf.)

The Original Drake models (CST744___ and CST743___), elongated and round, respectively, all can take that new tank. Your model would be the same number except substitute EN (N for new tank) instead of S. So...CST744ENG for the one and CST743EN. Of course, if you go for the elongated, you can just buy 3 CST744ENGs, and all would have sanagloss and the new tank.

I agree with Terry that the elongated really doesn't take up that much more space in reality, but adds to comfort. If you have an actual architectural feature (as Terry mentions, like a door that would hit the bowl lip) that is a problem, then round is fine. Otherwise, go with the elongated. This from someone who bought a round out of concern about space and realizes that the elongated would have been fine. Our elongated is very nice.

We have two Drakes, and love them. Come back with any questions.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. eldoubleu

eldoubleu New Member

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I've convinced my wife to go with the elongated bowl and the Sanagloss option for two of the three bathroom toilets we're replacing, and the SoftClose seats for all three. The smallest bathroom really requires a smaller bowl unfortunately. There's not enough clearance for the cabinet across from the toilet.

Lou
  6. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Let us know how you like them when they're in. We can also help tweak things if there are any issues, which is unlikely. If installed right, you should love them.