Compact Elongated Seat comfort

Users who are viewing this thread

bluejayye

Reaction score
I have some space constraints and am looking at the Kohler Santa Rosa compact elongated model. Ffor anyone who may know, does a compact elongated seat compromise comfort or should I just get a round model instead if I am going to go shorter?

bmdc_12.jpg

Picture added by Terry, Kohler Santa Rosa

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
It has been pointed out that the feet are in about the same place while using an elongated toilet. Unless you are walking by, I would think the extra bit of length would help, not hurt, comfort.
img_3.png

bluejayye

Reaction score
But are the compact elongated seat models shorter and thus closer to size of a round?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IT sort of depends on what your definition of compact is...a highly popular Toto Ultramax is 28-3/16", or less than 1/2" longer than that model you're looking at. A one-piece dual-flush Toto Aquia is 27-5/8" long. Both of those are elongated toilets, the round versions are shorter.

Except for a few, fairly rare toilet shapes out there, there are basically two sizes of toilet seats: round or elongated. Now, buying a generic one may not match the color exactly or the exact shape of the bowl (it might overhang a little), but the bolt holes will fit. A few toilets are not quite flat between the two mounting bolts, so if the rear of the seat is flat verses having two pedestals for the hinges, some won't fit as it might rock from the high point in the middle (most seats are not entirely flat across the back, but there are a few).

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Compact Elongated has only to do with floor space. Seating area is the same as a regular-sized elongated bowl and they use a regular elongated seat..

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Is that your toilet in the picture? Exactly which toilet are you thinking of getting?

First thing to do is to mearue the distance between the wall and the bolt heads. Remove one of the bottom caps and measure to the wall (not the floor molding).

Usually one gets a compact because of the distance between the front of the toilet bowl and the side of a bathtub or shower, or because of the distance from the back of the toilet to the back wall. If you compare the Cimmaron round to the Snata Rosa elongated the distance from the wall to the front of the toilet is about the same but the distance from the tank back to the wall is different.

If you have less than the ideal 12" from the wall to the bolts may I suggest the Toto Drake? (One of my bathrooms is on 13" centers...)

I have never met a Kohler toilet I like...

My favourite toilet seat is the Kohler Brevia Q2 Advantage, which looks a lot like the one in your picture. I liked it so much that I bought two. BTW, at 16.5" theK ohler Comfort height is higher than a Toto ADA. I would prefer that the height were 15.5", but that's a personal thing. I find 14.5" too short and 16" too high. ymmv.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thanks that's just what I was wondering about.
Here are a couple of reference points: Gerber's Viper ADA height elongated 12" rough-in (VP-21-518) extends 29-5/8" from the back wall, while their Viper ADA height COMPACT elongated 12" rough-in (VP-21-519) saves three inches of floor space at 26-5/8". As I mentioned above, the area utilized to "do your business" is the same with both. Similarly, American Standard's Cadet PRO ADA height elongated 12" rough-in (215AA.004) has a back-to-front depth of 30-1/8" and their Compact Cadet PRO ADA height elongated 12" rough-in (215FA.004) is 28-5/16". As you've no doubt noted, the Kohler Santa Rosa (K-3810 and K-3811) is 27-3/4" deep, back-to-front. I mention all of this to call attention to the fact that, though a toilet might not be marketed as "compact," it's worth your while to check the specs because you might find another that you prefer and will work with your space limitations. For example, the highly-touted Toto Ultramax II (MS604114CEFG) is a one-piece ADA height elongated with 12" rough-in, NOT marketed as a compact model, but has a 28-5/16" depth -- the same as the American Standard COMPACT Cadet PRO.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
And if you look at the 1.28gpf regular height Drake toilets, the Elongated and The Round are the same distance from the wall: 27 + 1/8" (26+2/8+6/8=26+9/8=27+1/8).

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst743s.pdf
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst743e_spec.pdf

The Santa Rosa in the first post is 27+3/4 + 2/4 = 27+5/4 = 28+1/4.

Therefore the Drake is shorter distance from the wall.

If the toilet is going in the hallway then a regular height toilet is okay as one may have young children and teens using it; and if one has a wife or daughters they usually prefer round bowls because there is less splash back when urinating or when flushing sitting down. You may also want to consider installing a 1.6gpf regular height toilet instead - just in case of heavy BMs. But if it is going in the Master Bedroom Bathroom then you may want to consider an ADA height elongated toilet; 1.28gpf is fine because the extra height helps with the flush down. That one, though, will end up being 29+1/4" from the wall.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744el.pdf

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
And if you look at the 1.28gpf regular height Drake toilets, the Elongated and The Round are the same distance from the wall: 27 + 1/8" (26+2/8+6/8=26+9/8=27+1/8).

The Santa Rosa in the first post is 27+3/4 + 2/4 = 27+5/4 = 28+1/4.

Therefore the Drake is shorter distance from the wall.

If the toilet is going in the hallway then a regular height toilet is okay as one may have young children and teens using it; and if one has a wife or daughters they usually prefer round bowls because there is less splash back when urinating or when flushing sitting down. You may also want to consider installing a 1.6gpf regular height toilet instead - just in case of heavy BMs. But if it is going in the Master Bedroom Bathroom then you may want to consider an ADA height elongated toilet; 1.28gpf is fine because the extra height helps with the flush down. That one, though, will end up being 29+1/4" from the wall.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744el.pdf
The extra height "help" with the flush has to do with the some of the newer tanks being higher because they are slimmer. A better flush is not achieved simply by having an ADA-height bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks