Commercial floor drain requirements for Will County

Users who are viewing this thread

Madelaine

Reaction score
Hi all, we're building a coffee roasting business in Will County, and the county health dept has told us we have the same requirements as a restaurant, ie three-compartment sink and a separate hand-wash sink, etc. Our landlords trenched out the concrete and ran us a PVC drain line, but they messed up and didn't dig deep enough for the slope; the end result being that the drain pipe where it enters our unit is about 6" above grade. Obviously that makes it impossible for us to have a literal floor drain. I've seen pictures online of indirect drains that look to be a funnel-type PVC pipe that goes into a raised floor stub; any idea of this would be acceptable in a commercial setting? I'll definitely be passing it through local and county approval processes, but I want to make sure it's not a no-go from the start.

Thanks!
-Maddy

Madelaine

Reaction score
Floor drains are for the purpose of washing the floor, so there is no way an "above the floor" drain would work.

For floor washing, I agree 100%. We'll have a mop sink in a janitor closet adjoining our space, so we're hoping they'll sign off on that arrangement instead of having a separate mop sink directly in our space.

I'm thinking more about the placement of the three-compartment and hand-wash sink. Right now I'm concerned that we're stuck with a situation where we'll have to put in an el-shaped sink to fit into the corner where the drain stub is, or have to tell our landlord that we can't use their space because of how they've set it up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks