Comments or issues with York A/C units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I really do not have any useful experience with the reliability or quality of various central a/c units. My mother was just quoted a price for a York unit that seems fair (lots of ductwork to make it work as the old 4" supply ducts are way undersized for cooling and they, along with adding some returns to work well is a fairly large amount of work). He spec'ed a 13 SEER unit and when queried about a more efficient unit, he said it wouldn't perform well unless the furnace was changed as well - to meet the rated seer on those, it would need a unit with a more capable fan and controller rather than the single speed unit in the existing furnace (which, while oversized, he said was in great condition).

Any thoughts? This guy only installs York equipment. Has good references. Probably should get some other quotes. I tried to get her to consider a mini-split, but she doesn't really want things hanging on the walls, and there are only a few places where you could put one through the ceiling, so that's out. I think that may be her better choice, but she's stubborn!

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 13 SEER units, but I installed one of the YZH series (2t/3t, two-stage, 17.5 SEER) about 2.5 years ago.

http://www.york.com/residential/products/heat-pumps/affinity/18-seer-unit-yzh.aspx

I love it. It is so quiet. You can hardly hear the thing even when standing next to it. Physically, it is a large unit (and most newer units are...especially with more efficient units). In my case, I was going from electric furnace to heat pump, so I was switching the inside and outside unit. I also had everything open for reno work, so I ran a new lineset as well. Also, since it is a two-stage unit (and also a heat pump vs. the A/C only old unit), I needed to run more control wires as well.

In the summer, it runs on low stage most of the time. It will also slow down the indoor fan and use the A/C to dehumidify (when humidity is high, but the temperature isn't). It is also smart about when and for how long to defrost in winter (save some money).

I haven't had any trouble at all with it. I think with most units (any brand) that the install is just important (or moreso) than the actual brand in terms of how it operates and preventing issues. Also, make sure that they use a nitrogen purge while brazing (especially if going to R-410a). Oxygen in the line will cause deposits when brazing. This can then get washed off and mess things up. After everything is together (but before refridge is released), the system needs to be connected to a vacuum pump (pump down to below 500 microns) and be held there for 15 minutes or so. This will remove any air/mositure for the system.

Any good installer will know what needs to be done, but they may still try some shortcuts to save time.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I am not impressed by the York installers here.

I looked into a York years ago and they insisted that their installers had to install the unit, They would not sell me one. Even with a licenses.

Their numbers do look good, and everyone likes Big numbers.

After seeing some York installs in my area, Where the outside unit is setting on Cinder Blocks , just so the refrigeration lines would reach was not very impressing.

It depends on the installer, no mater what brand you go with.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks