Combining Bathroom Ceiling/Drain Vents

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by P. Martin, Oct 8, 2005.

1. P. Martin

P. Martin New Member

I purchased a home 3 years ago and continue to uncover wonderful shortcuts by the builder. Most recently, when diagnosing poor venting in both upstairs bathrooms, I found that the ends of the vent hose terminated in the attic (buried in the insulation).

Due to lofted celings there is no room to send the vent hoses to the front or back of the house without hitting the roof line. The gable ends of the house are accessible, but are a good 15-20' away in either direction and I'm afraid the fans are not adequate to push that distance.

I am uncomfortable making a new hole in the roof. One person suggested that I tie into the 3" plumbing vent that runs within a few feet of the ceiling fans. Is there anyway to do that successfully, or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,

PM
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Not a good idea to tie into plumbing vents for your fan.

Cutting the roof is not a big deal and would give you the best ventilation.
    They make roof jacks just for that purpose.
    Sewer gas should be kept seperate from your ventilation system.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

fans

How does asking for "big trouble" sound to you. Sewer gases would flow from the drain into the fan vent and from there into the rooms. It is not really a "bad" idea, it is a "horrible" idea.