Combination galvanized and PEX okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockindiver

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to sell my home and want to invest as little as possible to do so. It currently has galvanized steel from the meter to the house and in the crawl space as well. Water pressure is low and I get rust colored water when I first turn on the water. Not good selling points obviously. I was looking to replace just what was under the house and leave the galvanized from the meter to the house in order to save money.
What are the odds that this will make a perceptible change in flow/color? Also, one of the plumbers who gave me a quote said that keeping the galvanized from the meter to the house would damage the PEX under the house over time due to metal deposits eating through the PEX. Any veracity to this claim?

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you are on city/water company water.

No problem adding PEX after galvanized. You might consider a whole house cartridge filter after the galvanized to catch rust flakes. No truth in the claim, but I can't assess veracity; it could be ignorance.

Note that PEX inside diameter is smaller than steel for a given nominal size, so if in doubt, you can bump up the size of lines that carry water to more than one fixture.

Consider flushing your water heater, since that may have collected sediment.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your pipe from the meter to house is more than likely the source of the rusty water, and since it is the same age as the rest of the piping it is probably not in any better shape.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
When galvanized corrodes, it corrodes on the inside also. It's very possible that the ID of that pipe is now so small you can't shove a pencil through it.

Besides, the water line is all new, what a great selling point! And no excuses for lousy water pressure........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks