Colon Cancer update November 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's been a while since I've posted anything. I was supposed to go in September 2nd and have more colon removed to enable a clean connection of the two sides. The Endoscopy hadn't been scheduled for placing the stints, (stints would be for locating during surgery to make sure nothing was accidentally cut an disabled) The surgery was canceled and then rescheduled for November 18th, the week before Thanksgiving. October 5th I went in a got scoped, seeing if the 18th surgery was going to be a go.
Original Plan in Summer of 2011
Remove section of colon that had been badly attached and excess removal of over radiated intestine with scar tissue.
This would be a 9 day stay with a three month recovery and then surgery to remove the ileostomy bag would be done.
Five days in, and six weeks recovery.

The result of the October camera work showed that it was possible to skip the first surgery and go right to the bag removal surgery. This moved up my life by months and meant that skiing on a La Nina year was going to be possible. Surgery was scheduled for November 18th, I was invited to Kohler Wisconsin and was flying out on the 13th, back on the 16th. I would have one day off and then show up on Friday for my surgery.

Surgery was successful on the 18th, 4 hours and I was back into the recovery room. Sue was waiting for me when I was brought back to the room. As is the normal situation, I had the epidural in the back, a drip into my left hand and other stuff hanging from me that would slow any guy down when he wanted to move. Staples across my stomach to close up what had been removed. The hernia site had been repaired.

By the way, is there anyone left that visits this site over 50 that hasn't scheduled their colonoskopy yet?
It's a no-brainer guys. A cancer can take 32 years to develop to the dangerous stage. Catching them Early, when the polyps can be simply snipped off if the easy way to skip all the trauma to the body.

On a good note.
My blood presure is good, they call me the "really healthy" guy when they look at my chart.
Taking pain meds right now is annoying, and not being able to pick up anything heavy. I leave that rigth now to the younger guys working with me. My son Jamie has been great.
Because surgery had been put off, we were able to finish up our softball coed season. The last night in the playoffs I went 3 for 3, a triple and two doubles. My seaon average was .762
Give me a few months, and this should be another really good year. I'm expecting great things for 2012.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks