Cole Massy PM60 connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry Fostano

Reaction score
I have a Cole Massy PM60 softener, my question is about head pressure . I would like to know if I can safely push my regeneration water up 3 feet then continue some 30 feet across a basement ceiling into a drain pipe that goes out the wall into a catch basin? My concern is that I do not want to put undue stress on the system , considered putting a check valve in but don't think that would be a wise idea . Thanks

"

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The vast majority of softeners can handle the water going up. The simplest way to do the math in your head is...

Venturi injectors require a differential pressure. Water going up puts back pressure on the injector thereby reducing their ability to perform. Water going up has about 1 pound of back pressure for every 2 feet of height (please don't argue the math.... it is just a simple way to get close enough). So by going up even 8 feet, you are only causing 4 psi of back pressure on the venturi. Assuming your water pressure going in to the injector is 50 psi, you should be just fine.

Some odd softeners in the past could not handle the drain lines going up but these are very rare. I believe the Siata Valve was one of them.

Bannerman

Reaction score
While not pertaining to your original question, in consideration to your location, there is potential for any water which may not fully drain from the external drain pipe, freezing and blocking that pipe.

Why not just discharge your softener into the sewer or septic system as is most common?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks