Cold water on bath/shower is possessed!

Users who are viewing this thread

JOD788

Reaction score
Ok maybe not, but here's my problem. I had a leaky shower stem on the hot side, so I went ahead and replaced both the hot and cold shower stems with new ones. Plus the seats (I think they are called). I have no idea what brand. They were probably 25 years old and I found replacements. Before I go on - this issue I'm having DID occur before I replaced the stems, but now it does it even worse with the new stems. It only affects the cold water. Now with most faucets if you turn the knob slowly, out comes the water....you gradually turn the knob and gradually the flow of water increases. Not with my cold water. Basically it's all or nothing. I turn it ever so slowly and...boom..full blast of cold water. Sometimes I will be able to get it to a point where it doesn't flow full blast, but eventually (and without me even touching the knob) it will just spontaneously decide to go full blast on me. Basically it's very very difficult to get the water temp right because the cold is either full blast or nothing at all on me. There's no in between. What's the deal?? Like I said, I don't think its the new stem because it was doing this with the old stems, but it wasn't quite as bad before the new stems.

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
I had this happen to me a month ago in our guest bathroom. The previous owner remodeled the bathroom, but skimped and bought older style Price Pfister shower valves. I had the same problem as you, where I would either scald myself or I would freeze when the cold would act as a light switch.

The problem.. the screw holding the 3/8L rubber washer on the back of the stem had loosened completely allowing the washer to flap back and forth as you opened and closed the valve. I replaced the screw and put a new washer for insurance and all problems solved.

Screw and washer on the back of the valve stem is what I'm referring to.

039166079797xl.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you do NOT know the make and model of the faucet, HOW did you find the correct stem and seat for it? They are not "generic" so you WOULD have had to know that first. IF you have the wrong parts, especially the seats, that could cause your symptoms.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Killer; that is a diverter stem, and the only "older style" PP faucets are those with washers. There were two styles of those and they were interchangeable depending on the trim pieces used.

JOD788

Reaction score
I just removed one and went to the supply store and the guy matched it up for me. The seats were included with the stems, I didn't buy them separately. It's just weird because it did the same thing (although not as bad) with the old stems, and does the same thing with the new stems - and it's only on the cold water side. Seems if I had the wrong part then the hot water would do it too. The hot water works perfectly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks