cold water leak

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by kbrahms, Jan 8, 2005.

1. kbrahms

kbrahms New Member

I have a three handle tub/shower faucet that is leaking. I replaced the washer but it stills leaks. I tried removing the flange? that the washer sits against but it wont budge and started to strip. There is no access in the rear wall. is there some other way other than removing half the tiles to fix this?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leak

Yes, either get the proper seat wrench for your faucet, or call a plumber and have him remove and replace the seat. It will be a lot easier and cheaper to call a plumber than to replace the valve and repair the wall.
  3. kbrahms

kbrahms New Member

I had a plumber come in and he could not get the seat out either. Is my only option to rip out tile?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

seat

A plumber with a good seat dresser may be able to renew the surface, but I cannot remember ever having a seat that could not be removed.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

On some 3 handle units like P/P, a standard seat wrench will bottom out against the body of the valve before completely engaging the seat. I have always carried a wrench with the first (smallest) seat cut off, for this purpose.