cold hot crossover - what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

cindy g

Reaction score
We have a nortiz tankless water heater for about 10 months and recently the water temp has been just above lukewarm. We discovered yesterday by accident when trying to clean the water filter in the heater that the hot fixture in the laundry room (2 handles, one hot and one cold) and the hot side of the single faucet in the bathroom sink continue to run water but cold after we shut off the water supply to the tankless heater. We did not check the other faucets. There is no error code in the heater unit itself. I called the company and they said this is not a heater unit problem. Apparently there is a cold hot crossover somewhere in the plumbing. This is not a new house and there hasn't been any new plumbing work done recently except for the installation of the tankless heater about 10 months ago. Ther is no recirulation system either. I like to get some help in understanding this problem.

1) If there is a crossover at a faucet (which I read is a common cause), why is the whole house water temp affected?
2) Is this a easy problem to fix by any plumber? I know I have to get a plumber out but I am afraid that not every plumber knows what to do and I would be wasting time and money on this.
3) Is this going to require tearing down any structure?
4) Any advise on what we should do now?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you have stops at the various fixtures, you can isolate them one by one until the crossover is no more. Then you can focus on the one fixture that is causing the crossover.

cindy g

Reaction score
If you have stops at the various fixtures, you can isolate them one by one until the crossover is no more. Then you can focus on the one fixture that is causing the crossover.
Thanks very much for your reply. Can you elaborate your answer? Sorry for my ignorance since I know nothing about plumbing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Many fixtures will have supply shutoff valves under the counter or behind an access panel. If you shut off the supply and the crossover stops then you can suspect the fixture that is supplied by that valve. It is a process of elimination.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks