coil with hot water heater question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bbillcee, Feb 25, 2007.

1. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

i have a coil on a weil mccalin boiler that i got last year.....i only got the coil to shut my father up....i didn't like the way the pressure droped when i was on it during the winter on the old boiler. during the summer i switch to a hot water heater.

i have had some plumbers tell me i should feed the hot water heater with the coil output and and leave the hot water heater on all year around...

what are your thoughts about this?

thanx
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The hassle with those things is that they almost always have a flow restrictor on them to ensure there is enough time in the heating area to actually raise the temperature enough. That restriction would still be there with the WH if you used the coil as an input even though you had a bunch of water in storage unless you did some other fancy bypass.

Unless the boiler is one of the high efficiency jobs with a very small water volume, I think you'd be better off turning it off in the summer. Can't say this from experience, only my impressions.