coil with hot water heater question

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
i have a coil on a weil mccalin boiler that i got last year.....i only got the coil to shut my father up....i didn't like the way the pressure droped when i was on it during the winter on the old boiler. during the summer i switch to a hot water heater.

i have had some plumbers tell me i should feed the hot water heater with the coil output and and leave the hot water heater on all year around...

what are your thoughts about this?

thanx

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle with those things is that they almost always have a flow restrictor on them to ensure there is enough time in the heating area to actually raise the temperature enough. That restriction would still be there with the WH if you used the coil as an input even though you had a bunch of water in storage unless you did some other fancy bypass.

Unless the boiler is one of the high efficiency jobs with a very small water volume, I think you'd be better off turning it off in the summer. Can't say this from experience, only my impressions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks