Coffee Brewer, Battery

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnEEE

Reaction score
Hello, would it be feasible to operate a 11.5 Amp coffee brewer off a 12V, 840 cranking Amp marine battery and inverter? Is this possible if the brewer operates for about 10 minutes at a time every 30 minutes over a period of 8 hours? The total run time then would be 160 minutes or 2.66 hours. Could I charge the battery during this time with a solar charger? This would be for outdoor events with no electrical outlets. I am more than happy to hear any advice on this or any alternative battery Amps. The one constant is the 11.5 Amps of the brewer. Thank you.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Power = volts*amps...cranking amps doesn't mean much here, as you only typically crank an engine for a few seconds, not for 10-minutes straight, then repeat over time.

11.5A*120vac=1380W. To be safe, you'd need an inverter capable of something over 1700W...if you were lucky, maybe a 1500W one. 1380/12V=115A, and 145A or so if you wanted some reserve. A good sized deep discharge battery capable of at least that, hopefully more, would run things for an hour, but as the voltage dropped, the amperage would have to go up to provide the same power. You need to know the Ahr rating, not the cranking amps to understand how long it would last. Repeated discharge, recharge cycles, unless a deep discharge battery (and even then) shorten the life of a battery. THrow in maybe a cold day when the battery doesn't have the full capacity, and you'd need a larger one still. To get that much power would take a bunch of typical solar cell panels, and then, depending on the sun angle and how clear the sky is, maybe more yet.

JohnEEE

Reaction score
Power = volts*amps...cranking amps doesn't mean much here, as you only typically crank an engine for a few seconds, not for 10-minutes straight, then repeat over time.

11.5A*120vac=1380W. To be safe, you'd need an inverter capable of something over 1700W...if you were lucky, maybe a 1500W one. 1380/12V=115A, and 145A or so if you wanted some reserve. A good sized deep discharge battery capable of at least that, hopefully more, would run things for an hour, but as the voltage dropped, the amperage would have to go up to provide the same power. You need to know the Ahr rating, not the cranking amps to understand how long it would last. Repeated discharge, recharge cycles, unless a deep discharge battery (and even then) shorten the life of a battery. THrow in maybe a cold day when the battery doesn't have the full capacity, and you'd need a larger one still. To get that much power would take a bunch of typical solar cell panels, and then, depending on the sun angle and how clear the sky is, maybe more yet.
Thank you jadnashu. I appreciate the straight talk and the time you took to reply.

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for propane coffee maker in a search engine.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thank you jadnashu. I appreciate the straight talk and the time you took to reply.

You can get a coffee maker that takes a lot less power.

I have a Mr. Coffee that uses 600 watts and I can run it on a computer UPS. It brews into a carafe and then shuts off.

It makes good coffee too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks