Code Question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by jaxbldginspector, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jaxbldginspector

jaxbldginspector New Member

Is there a requirement in the NEC that a three-way switch is required for a set of stairs leading down to a basement or upstairs to another floor/room?

I know it needs to be there but I am looking for the code. Thanks

This is the best website of all times!
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

210.70(A)(2)(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

The bold is important.
  3. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Three ways are never required in the NEC, yes it is required that you need switches at each floor level, but they could be single poles controlling two fixtures. ( yes I know this is dumb) just pointing out the actual code langauge. :)
  4. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

You know, it never actually occurred to me that that is literally the way it is worded. :confused: :rolleyes:
    Go figure.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

switch

It left out the long string to turn the switch off once you got upstairs, although since it would have to move downward, you could use a small rock.
  6. jaxbldginspector

jaxbldginspector New Member

Thanks for the info. You are appreciated!