Code Question: Safely Storing Future Use Wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to determine the best technique for storing wires that were put in place during a remodel. The problem is that wires were installed and connected to the panel for future use as living space (electric range, kitchen circuits. These wires were run out of a wall at a location where there will eventually be a partition wall. However, the partition wall is not being built now as the space will not be used as a kitchen immediately.

What can be done to store these wires in a code compliant fashion until the wall is eventually built and still allow the space to be used safely?

Thanks for any replies.

Molo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
We can coil them up, but there is no attic space or basement space to place the wires into. The wires are laying on the floor and the wires are already in the panel. Is it enough to keep them disconnected in the panel and coil them up?

Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not positive on this, but it may be acceptable to install lockout bars on the CB's in the panel to prevent the circuit from being energized and leave them connected...one less thing to deal with later. As a double precaution, a wire nut on each of the hot and neutral in the coiled bundle.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
We can coil them up, but there is no attic space or basement space to place the wires into. The wires are laying on the floor and the wires are already in the panel. Is it enough to keep them disconnected in the panel and coil them up?

Thanks again
Keep them safe from damage and unpowered and everything will be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks