Code clearance between ABS and recessed lighting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Buttonsrtoys, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

I'm installing a new ABS drain and have a recessed can in the same joist bay. Is there a code requirement for how close I can be to the lighting fixture? There was some discussion in the archive to follow the lighting mfg recommendations, but its an existing light and I don't have anything on it. I could move the light to the next joist bay, or jog the drain into the bay, but am wondering if its worth the trouble.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is the can an IC rated fixture? Would the things actually touch? WIll it run to the side or over the fixture? Sometimes, the fixtures have a label on them describing required clearances, or at least a manufacturer and model number which you could look up. It probably won't be an issue, but need more details. Jogging drainage pipes requires some considerations, such as cleanouts when the change in direction exceeds certain amounts. Best to be avoided.
  3. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Below is a pic of the fixture. It's installed in a basement acoustic tile ceiling. The sticker reads, "Warning: Risk of fire. Do note install insulation within 3" of fixture sides or wiring compartment, nor above fixture in such a manner as to entrap heat."

I was planning to the ABS next to the fixture, maybe 2" away.

recessed light.jpg
  4. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

Not an electrical issue. I do not know if it is a plumbing issue.