Code and cutting studs

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Billy_Bob, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

I see in my handy plumbing code book that is some situations, you can cut away up to 40% of a wood stud for a pipe...

But can I cut away more than that and then reinforce the stud in some way?

Like maybe install a metal bracket over the end which is cut to give the stud back its structural strength?

Or sister a length of stud next to the cut out stud?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

holes

They make stud shoes to reinforce the cut area. A sistered stud would have to be cut away just like the subject stud.
  3. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Billy Bob
    I don't know where you are, but if your jurisdiction is governed by the UBC, you can't notch or drill more than it says you can, even if you use stud shoes. See chapter 23 UBC. It does allow you to drill up to 60% of non bearing walls, "or in any wall where each stud is doubled, provided not more than two such successive doubled studs are so bored."
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

shoes

In a bearing wall, I can drill a 2" pipe through a 2x4 as long as I use the stud shoes. In a non-bearing wall, I don't need the shoes.