Coated gas pipe for underground use

Users who are viewing this thread

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
used the regular black iron ,yellow coating 21' length. also needed some 10s
so used h .depot green. inspector signed off, but never seen these green ones. the yellow has a heavier jacket. any comments?

Natural gas piping underground

Last edited by a moderator:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
the green is rated and is just as good. It is actually easier to use as you don't have to strip the coating to thread. make sure you wrap the pipe anywhere the coating gets compromised. Once you damage the coating on the x-tru (yellow wrapped) it will rust through rather quickly (depending on soil conditions).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
comment

My comment is that the green Scotchcoat is just about useless in the long run, unless the entire length is either tape wrapped or enclosed in a plastic sleeve. It will rust through rather quickly anywhere the "paint" is damaged, and it can be damaged somewhat easily. I have seen sections that were only a few years old that looked like swiss cheese they had so many holes in it.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
H J , I have some time before backfill

I,ll go over it and prime and tape the whole pipe. won't use again!
question is your soil part of the problem? do you have to set anoig bags?
we don't

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
the coating on the x-tru can be damaged just as easily. Have had problems with it rusting through rather quicky after getting hit with a shovel. It doesn't matter what pipe you use, it the coating gets damaged and not repaired it will rust through rather quickly depending on soil conditions. The coating on the "green" pipe isn't painted on. It is an epoxy that is baked on, a huge difference.

exptape

Reaction score
good idea. if you need polyethylene coating tape, please contact me.Angelina Meng 0086-13863735038. my email is xundatape@gmail.com. we are the professional and big manufacture for PE pipe wrap tape.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The code here requires 40 mil protection, which means 2 wraps of the 20 mil tape, over primer. The primer is very expensive, as is the tape, so the whole thing adds $5 per foot to the cost!!!!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The coating on the "green" pipe isn't painted on. It is an epoxy that is baked on, a huge difference.

I used the term paint loosely since the material is applied TO the pipe and regardless of how it is applied it still chips off and exposes the pipe material. This might not be a serious problem if the underlying pipe were galvanized, but since it is black pipe it deteriorates very quickly in an underground situation.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
All the propane companies will run the poly on a tank set quite cheaply.

Always hated the black coated gas line because the crappy wrap tape for joints is so stiff that it cannot seal properly. It should be 2 mil with 10 wraps. Then I would coat it with a good asphalt sealer or silicone [if you can get asphalt anymore- all the CA stuff is crap water base]. That entire system is a primitive joke.

If anyone really cared or wanted to think and MFG. it, one would slip on a section of shrink tube over joints and turns and heat it up.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks