Clueless homeowner looking into water treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

SpottyPots

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting some kind of water treatment system but I know absolutely nothing about the topic. I wish the subforum had a FAQ! The reason for the interest is that I have hard water which leaves chalky deposits on anything I clean (cookware, stainless appliances, etc). I'd also like to tackle any other water problems I might have while I'm at it.

Would the place to start be getting some kind of water test? If so, what kind of test or tests would be appropriate? Perhaps one of the tests in this thread?
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/choosing-new-home-softening-filter-system.69329/

Any advice as I go through this process would be greatly appreciated, as would links to good resources to educate myself.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Water conditions vary greatly by location. A lab test will identify the minerals and contaminants in your specific water so that you can then decide the most appropriate treatment method.
You didn't mention if your water is municipal/water provider sourced or your own private well. If municipal/WP, then lab testing will be already performed and the results should be available, often on-line.
If your water is sourced from your own well, then a lab testing service such as National Labs is appropriate and necessary. http://www.ntllabs.com/Merchant2/me...NTL&Product_Code=9003&Category_Code=Homeowner

Reach4

Reaction score
Would the place to start be getting some kind of water test? If so, what kind of test or tests would be appropriate? Perhaps one of the tests in this thread?
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/choosing-new-home-softening-filter-system.69329/
Yes. I would use kit90 for a home well.

Also order the Hach 5-B test. That only tests hardness, but it will be useful to test your softened water as well as being able to test for raw water hardness changes.

If you have a rust color inside of toilet tanks, that would indicate iron. Usually with much iron, you would have noticed an iron taste if you did not grow up with it. The lab test will indicate the numbers.

For the coliform test, sterilize your faucet before drawing water. Then run the water for several minutes before collecting the sample. Bleach or alcohol or sometime flame is used, but flame is not so good for plastic parts.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You have a good start by noting your primary concerns. The problem is that without some basic test results we can only guess as to why you are getting the chalky deposits. It could be hardness but it could also be simply high tds. Sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, magnesium sulfate etc. are all common contributors. A good test will determine the likely cause.

Do you buy your water through a municipality or do you have your own well?

Kar labs and NTL are both reputable companies. The KAR labs test is more detailed, the NTL labs is much easier to read.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go with a softener with 1.5 cubic ft of resin in a 10x54 inch "48,000 grains" tank for up to 3 people, because I like that size. You could also use a 9" x 48" 1.00 cu. ft. ( "32,000 grains ") for up to 2 people.

ditttohead

Reaction score
10x54 is much preferred, 50% bigger for only a few bucks more. Are you looking to install it yourself or do you want to buy from a local company? Stay away from the big box store systems.

SpottyPots

Reaction score
Looking to install myself.

Capacity shouldn't be an issue. My water meter doesn't even move some months. That said, the price difference isn't much so I'll get the larger system anyway. That way if I move it will still work for a family with more typical consumption.

Last edited:

U.S. Filter Pros

http://www.usfilterpros.com/
Reaction score
Website
www.usfilterpros.com
I reviewed the water test and am very familiar with Las Vegas water, having lived there for a year and Phoenix for 2 years, both cities getting their water from the Colorado river. Vegas chlorine levels are actually relatively low so a water softener should do the trick. The price difference between a 32,000 grain and 48,000 grain water softener is minimal, we sell the 32,000 for $550 and the 48,000 for $600. For a $50 difference you'll have a longer lasting more efficient unit.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Actually, chlorine levels in Las Vegas vary wildly depending on the distance from the chlorine injection points. I work with many dealers in Las Vegas and just did on site training at three locations a week ago. Chlorine levels varied from .7 up to 2.4 ppm. 2.4 ppm of chlorine is not an ideal level. This specific location has gone through 3 resin beds in the past 6 years. Considering the chlorine levels and high water usage at this location, the resin was lasting about as long as we expected it to. A higher grade resin has since been installed and we expect to get some more tie between resin changeouts. Dechlorinization was not an option at this location so better resin was there only viable option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks