Cloudy water in well now

Users who are viewing this thread

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
we have had a summer home for 20 years that has a well with a plastic casing. The water has just become cloudy and has caused problems with screens on washing machines. It will clear if it is run for a considerable time...but every weekend now it is cloudy. How far from the bottom of the well should the pump be located. Is adding a whole house filter the best advise.. or what else can we do. The water was tested in the past and was 100% OK. the water has tasked great also.
Ed

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don’t know exactly how much you will need. There are formulas to determine how much. I just guess and wing it. I would use unscented Clorox bleach. I like to get the strength up to around 100 parts per million (ppm). Your well is not very deep so maybe about a quart. Put a quart into the well and recalculate the water with a hose back into the top of the well. You might have a vent and not have to remove the well seal. I use chlorine test strips from Bailey’s. After the water has run for a while check the strength, add more bleach if needed to get 100 ppm. Run the water at all your faucets till chlorine is detected. Let it stay in the well as long as possible and then run it out to remove the chlorine.

http://stores.baileysteststripsandthermometers.com/Detail.bok?no=33

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
I don’t know exactly how much you will need. There are formulas to determine how much. I just guess and wing it. I would use unscented Clorox bleach. I like to get the strength up to around 100 parts per million (ppm). Your well is not very deep so maybe about a quart. Put a quart into the well and recalculate the water with a hose back into the top of the well. You might have a vent and not have to remove the well seal. I use chlorine test strips from Bailey’s. After the water has run for a while check the strength, add more bleach if needed to get 100 ppm. Run the water at all your faucets till chlorine is detected. Let it stay in the well as long as possible and then run it out to remove the chlorine.

http://stores.baileysteststripsandthermometers.com/Detail.bok?no=33

Thanks..... will try it this weekend
I can leave it in all week because this is our summer house
Ed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks